How long for meds to work (if they are going to)?

Questions and experiences with prescription medications
Keeping the Faith

How long for meds to work (if they are going to)?

Post by Keeping the Faith » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:23 am

When they say 4-6 weeks, do they mean 4-6 weeks on a FULL dose?

I weaned up to a full dose of Lexapro, but have only been on it for 8 days now and still feel....ehhhhh....should I wait about a month and THEN see how I feel before going back to my doc?

Thanks!!!

Amy74

Re: How long for meds to work (if they are going to)?

Post by Amy74 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:37 am

Hi Keeping the Faith,
I also just started Lexapro. I started a little over two weeks ago at 1 mg and have titrated up to 5 mg. My Dr. is going to keep me at 5 mg for a couple of weeks. He says that everybody is different and some people may respond to 5 mg, some people may need more, but that it does take anywhere from 2-6 weeks to get a full effect. My thought is that after that amount of time we should start to feel an effect because some amount of medication has been in our system for an adequate amount of time. But, if we're still not feeling as good as we could, then we might need to increase. It's cumulative, so it should build and build as time goes on. I am definitely not surprised if you're not feeling an effect after 8 days though -- that's a really brief period of time (not when you're as anxious as we are, I know!) We must have started Lexapro at almost exactly the same time! I am still waiting for an effect too. I have also had some bad side effects (agitation, jitteriness, nervous stomach) but I guess those are normal for a few weeks as your body is adjusting.
Keep me posted on how it's working for you!

Return to “Prescription Medication Discussion”