Xanax rebound anxiety

Questions and experiences with prescription medications
Hope77

Xanax rebound anxiety

Post by Hope77 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:31 pm

Does anyone ever have rebound anxiety from Xanax? After I take a Xanax it seems about three hours later I will have a panic attack again and usually worse than before. It feels that it calms you for a few hours then it hits you again when it wears off.

cj20520

Re: Xanax rebound anxiety

Post by cj20520 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:54 pm

When my anxiety was REALLY BAD i had that happen all the time. I complained to my doctor and she said i was not taking a high enough dose (i was breaking them in half). She said take a whole pill twice a day for a few days, whether i felt like i needed it or not. She said i was trying to put out a house fire with a garden hose. I needed to get my body to calm down so it could stay calm. It worked, actually, it was a turning point for me. Now, i can take a half if i need it and i am fine afterwards.

Check with your doc and see what they say.
cj

Hope77

Post by Hope77 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:42 pm

Thanks CJ. I will have to give that a try. I do the same thing breaking them in half :mrgreen:

Paisleegreen

Post by Paisleegreen » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:31 pm

Interesting, that's why I won't even take one, because I feel that there will be a rebound. I haven't needed one for a "panic Attack perse', but sometimes, I'm feeling a bit anxious, or I'm not sleeping that well and don't think my Restoril is enough. But I'm afraid of my body wanting to have more Xanax. So I eat a protein meal such as scrambled eggs or tuna on toast. I stay away from salty or sugary foods the best I can. I might have a wee bit of salt on the eggs or chicken, but stay away from sodas and chips.

Hope77

Post by Hope77 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:26 pm

The rebound anxiety is worse than the original anxiety that you take it for. I have been trying to stay away from salt and sugar myself which has been difficult.

Paisleegreen

Post by Paisleegreen » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:02 pm

Hope, me too. It seems that after I take my Restoril at night, I suddenly succumb to my cravings or my gut feels better enough that I'll have something that is sweet. Part of the time, I'm in a sleepy trance. Ugh. I wake up the next day to find melted chocolate on my sheets or the tell tale sign of an ice cream cone shell. :| I have these pre-packaged Nestle's chocolate cones with nuts in my freezer. Sometimes, I'll have one and then my mind says to go get another. All Willpower is gone! :o I do find that if I eat a protein meal first I don't have as much cravings.

vickie12

Post by vickie12 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:23 pm

hi i was just wanted to say that my dr gave a prescription for xanax its .25 mg and im afraid to take it because of the side effects it could bring. i want to take it with my anxiety but im afraid to and i dont know why.. is .25mg a high dosage or low dosage?? :(

Hope77

Post by Hope77 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:46 pm

.25 is a low dose. You should not have to worry about the side effects. If you are worried you can split the pill in half like most people do. My situation with the rebound anxiety only happens sometimes when I am really panicky.

livelife

Post by livelife » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:06 pm

XANAX DOES NOT WEAR OFF IN 3 HOURS, it stays in your system for atleast 2 or more days!
a professional psychiatrist told me this when she wanted to put me on xanas instead of Pristiq because pristiq wears off wayyy quicker than XANAX.

Paisleegreen

Post by Paisleegreen » Fri May 06, 2011 11:47 pm

Wow, now I know what Pristiq is and definitely will stay away. The commercials are enough to scare you.

Return to “Prescription Medication Discussion”