Xanax rebound anxiety

Questions and experiences with prescription medications
LMH2011

Re: Xanax rebound anxiety

Post by LMH2011 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:53 pm

I think you might be getting Xanax and Klonopin mixed up. I've taken both - Klonopin is a long-lasting form of Xanax. Xanax is only supposed to last for 2 hours - this was told to me by a doctor at the hospital, a psychiatrist and a psychologist. Klonopin lasts for 8 hours or more and stays in your system. I, too, have the rebound problem with Xanax. It keeps me calm for about 5 hours, but then I panic like crazy and it's worse than ever. Maybe I should try taking the full pill for a few days. How many days are you supposed to do that? I have .5mg pills - I've never taken a full 1.0mg in a day, so I'm kind of nervous to do it and become dependent on that full dose....but if it works to calm you down, maybe it's worth a shot?

johnny77

Post by johnny77 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:56 am

Hi, I used to take xanex years ago and yes I would have the same problem. it was kind of like putting a bandaid on a bleeding wound that needs sutures. i think Benzodiazepines like xanex are usually temporary solutions like drinking a beer or something.

usually more long term maintance meds like ssri's or something are more recommended but they take time to work. Maybe ask your doctor about something like that? Keep in touch :)

mamakas

Post by mamakas » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:23 pm

I have been taking xanax sinse february. Had a severic panic attack the day of my surgery and have been having them ever sinse. Lately Ive been suspecting xanax is making it worse but I dont know how to stop taking it. My body goes crazy at the 4 hour mark, sometimes three. My doctor has been giving me differant anti depressants to take and said I shouldnt be only taking xanax. everything I try makes me feel worse with side affects and I go into worse panic attacks. I'm desperate. this is taken over my life i dont know what to do. Ive lost too much weight, feel nervous all the time. any suggestions? terrified of new medications.

d1adsl5a

Post by d1adsl5a » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:44 pm

You have got to get off the xanax. Yes I had it as well. It was horrible. Worst experience of my life. It controlled me. I would take .5mg at night before bedtime. Then in the afternoon, my body was craving more. Feeling paranoid around others....It was horrible. I remember being out a restaurant and just had to leave because I couldn't handle being there. That was not me. The xanax was turning me into something I didn't want to be...

I started it for insomnia and anxiety that I was having for a few months. I was desperate for sleep, still am but taking something else for it. There are plenty of taper schedules on line. I started to cut down on my own and it was making me crazy until i found a taper schedule. It is the worst once you get down to the lowest amounts. Stay strong. I just flushed the last of it a week ago. You can do it.

I still have insomnia. I don't have the horrible anxiety now that the xanax is out of my system.

ivy949494

Post by ivy949494 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:43 pm

Hmmm... Help! I've been on Xanax for years. .5mg up to 4 times per day. I frequently take 2 at a time to ward off an anticipated attack or at least take them as soon as I experience one. An attack for me feels like I can't breathe -- can't take a deep breath -- and it feels like I'm hyperventilating. The room gets dark, I feel a little wobbly, and I'm scared to death someone will notice me when I'm feeling like this or, God forbid, someone will try to talk to me when I'm feeling like this. I also am quite accustomed to taking two Xanax at night with my 10mg Zolpidem and 5mg Abilify.

What are these "rebound anxiety attacks" you speak of? Is that possibly what I'm experiencing? How do you know if they're rebound attacks or the real thing? I'm confused....
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Ivy Kirchberg
"Risk is like fire -- you will be safe but cold without it."
--------------------------------------------------------------------

deegray11

Post by deegray11 » Mon May 07, 2012 4:05 pm

[its a quartrer of a milligram. its a small dose. currently i am taking .5 mg twice daily for panic attacks. You should be fine just dont drive or anything until you know how your body reacts to it.

DolphinG

Post by DolphinG » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:53 am

Hi everyone i just started the program and i am only on my second session.
i just want to say that God has put this program in my path ,i have been dealing with GAD and mild Depression going on over one year thats when i found out that i was suffering from this condition.
A year ago after visiting the hospital with all kinds of symptoms Palpitations short of breath you na,e it all test done on me came back normal but it started a sequence of anxiety attacks and i was always scared and nervouse.
allot of you can probably relate to this.
For the zanac user , i just want to say that my personel feeling towards the medication is THAT IT DID HELP ME.
MY Doctor put me on .25 twice a day 1 in morning and 1 in night but like some of you probably are like me wanted to get out of them since i am not the type that likes to take meds and i was worried if that amount was to much.
I learned that a total of .50 wich is half of 1 mil is a verry low dose and nothing to worry about.
finaly like i said i just started the program and i feel from day to night even so that i forgott to take the zanac yesterday morning becouse i was working the steps of the program and i only took .25 at night just to calm me down and go to sleep.
im looking forward on chatting with all of you we can do this this program works if you work it i can feel it.
GOD BLESS

coachchris

Post by coachchris » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:36 am

I used xanax just like this too. It can be a temporary bridge to help you put your new skills into practice. Keep working hard :)

Chris StressCenter.com Coach

Asamsyd

Post by Asamsyd » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:07 am

I have been on Klonopin .5mg 3x a day PRN for 4 years now. I started havinf a growth spurt (set-back) and I felt like my klonopin wasn't working. I was taking it up to 3 times a day and I still felt bad. SO when i went to my dr, he gave my xanax .5mg. I do NOT want a benzo habit, and I know most of you are thinking "Youve been on it for 4 years....youre addicted", but no no no. For about a year I took it as prescribed, 3 x a day. Then after while I just kept forgetting to take it. So then I only took it when I needed it. And sometimes I could go a week and not even think about it. And that went for my Paxil too.
I'm now back on Paxil 10mg, klonopin .5mg TID and Xanax .5mg TID.....Do I take it all? NOPE. I take a klonopin (.5mg) in the morning, I go to work and am so busy that I don't even think about it. FOr example...yesterday was kind of an anxious day because for some reason I cant seem to get rid of this morning anxiety. SO I took a klonopin around 9am, although I had been up for probably more than an hour. Then I took a xanax around 3pm....not really sure why, other than my sister is so hyper that she makes me anxious....anyway, I totoally forgot about it by the time I went to bed at midnight. I slept horribly. Kept waking up. BLAH. And its because I didnt take my klonopin. Klonopin is definetely longer lasting, and really the effects are minimal. Why didn't I think it was working before, you might ask? Because I hadnt been taking it regularly for it to build up in my system. Klonopin is one benzo that is mild, lasts long and doesnt give you that "high" feeling--which is great. It does make me sleepy tho. Am i Going to switch to xanax that the dr prescribed? Probably not, but it is nice to know it is there if I do truly need it.
Thats my experience anywa, it's more a mental state you put yourself in. I hope this helps. :) ----Crystal

Return to “Prescription Medication Discussion”