MAOI's Emsam Patch

Questions and experiences with prescription medications
Michele16

MAOI's Emsam Patch

Post by Michele16 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:50 pm

Does anyone have expereince using the Emsam patch? It is a farily new MAO Inhibitor. I have been using it at the hightest dose - 12 mg. - since Dec. 17. I have not really noticed any difference at all. I've heard different amounts of time that it can take to work. From 1 month, to 6-8 weeks, to 6 months. I am really having doubts that this is going ot do anything for me at all. I would like for the doctor to try me on MARDIL, a much older MAOI. My mother was depressed for many years and Nardil was the only medication that helped her. I don't think my practitioner would give me this because she doesn't have any epxerience with it.

MAOIs cause your blood pressure to drop so the patch is safer than the MAOi pills because it is time-released and you don't get the immediate drop in blood pressure. Also, there are dietary restrictions and medication restrictions with MAOIs. I am well aware of all these restrictions, living with my mom all these years. I get tired of doctor's trying ot protect me from myself. I wish they could give me some credit for being an intelligent person who can remember what foods not to teat and can be careful to stand up slowly in case my blood pressure drops. Instead, I feel like they thinkg it is their job to protect me by giving me a safer, but in my opinion, less effective drug.

Return to “Prescription Medication Discussion”