My experience with meds

Questions and experiences with prescription medications
Pauly J

Post by Pauly J » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:52 am

I have been dealing with panic and anxiety for many years now and have just recently given in to the meds! Like most people i too feared taking it for reasons of side effects and that of such! I finally decided to and WOW! What a difference it made in my life! Only been on it for 10 days but I really am starting to feel alot better! I could not sleep so that is why i decided to take it! I felt that the pain of not sleeping was greater than the fear of taking the meds! Doctor prescribed to me Doxepin which is an older type Tricylic antidepression medicine which was suppose to help me sleep which it did! My anxiety and panic decreased and i can now sleep more than 2 hours a night but best of all I am starting to feel whole again! Prior to taking the Doxepin I was prescribed Lexapro which I never took and then I was prescribed Paxil which again I never took! Finally gave in to the Doxepin and am so glad that I did in my humble opinion! Now i look forward to taking my meds instead of fearing it! I tell myself that this is helping me and the side effects are so minimal! Most importantly for those that are afraid to start meds if you do give into it tell yourself before you take it that this is good for me and that it will help me! Do not take it in fear! You have to psych yourself and be in a positive state of mind before taking it! I think that is really important! That is my experience humbly speaking!

Hope77

Post by Hope77 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:50 pm

I have been on Doxepin on and off a few times before. They just approved Doxepin for being a sleeping pill about a year ago. I have been through the same thing as you with fearing taking the medications. I try to start with the lowest dose possible so if there are any side effects they aren't too bad. Doxepin is a very good drug in my opinion. I was first given it in the early 90's for panic attacks and took it just as needed. It helped me more than Xanax or Valium. Some people respond better to the older anti-depressants rather than the newer ones. Glad it is helping you.

Return to “Prescription Medication Discussion”