Questions about Lorazepam!!

Questions and experiences with prescription medications
jadee

Post by jadee » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:04 am

So ive been struggling with panic attacks and anxiety for a couple years now, I was on Effexor, it worked great then I tapered off at the beginning of last year. I finally felt like myself again and was very proud of myself for overcoming anxiety and had no panic attacks for almost a year. About a month ago I noticed my anxiety creeping up again. Mostly when I smoked weed (which I have completely stopped). Then I started to feel anxious before work ( i am a waitress at a busy restaurant), or when I was in a group setting. I began to self medicate with alcohol. I knew this was wrong, and I made an appointment to see my doctor to see if I should consider going back on meds. He thought I should give the Effexor another go... tried it and suffered crazy side effects to the point where I thought that there was something seriously wrong with me and stopped taking them. I missed a week of work, and went back to the doctor and told him I couldnt afford to miss anymore work. I asked him about trying Benzo's for a short period of time to help me get through work until I could get in to the councillors to really address the problem. He prescribed me Lorazepam and of coursee I am worried about side effects. I know its addicting, thats not what worries me. I just dont like feeling messed up. I back to work tonight, I have filled my prescription, im feeling really anxious about going to work, but I am afraid to take this pill seeing as I have never taken it before. I would only take .5 mg for my first go, I am just unsure how this is going to make me feel. Can anyone relieve some of my worries by telling me their own experience with Lorazepam firsthand? Thanks :)
When I am anxious it is because I am living in the future. When I am depressed it is because I am living in the past. ~Author Unknown

doamadman

Post by doamadman » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:20 am

I am on lorazepam 0.5 4x a day it is a God send. You will be just fine. When it is time to go off of it just go off slowley. I promise you will be ok . You are a strong Women I can Tell !!! Aaron
Stronger Then Death !!!!

jadee

Post by jadee » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:40 am

Thankss!! Also I meant to ask, how long does it usually take to kick in? and would it be a bad ideaa to take it before working tonight given I dont know if it will make me feel dizzy or nauseous?
When I am anxious it is because I am living in the future. When I am depressed it is because I am living in the past. ~Author Unknown

doamadman

Post by doamadman » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:12 pm

I feel better about 10 minutes. 1 hr for full effect. Every bodies diffrent .
Stronger Then Death !!!!

Chandler

Post by Chandler » Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:50 pm

Lorazepam is a very fast acting drug. You may feel more calm within 15-20 minutes. When I first discovered it, I was having panic attacks, and called it a miracle drug. That was in 2005. I kept taking it, and now I am sure that I am very addicted to it. No one should really take this drug that long, but doctors just keep renewing it anyway. I know a lady who has taken it 10 years without once increasing the dosage. Is she getting any benefits or just feeding an addiction?

However, to repeat, unless antidepressants and other drugs, Lorazepam is a "benzo" and they are usually very fast acting and don't put the brain through a long period of adjustment.

chrit

Post by chrit » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:37 am

I have been on it for 9 years. I am not additicted to it at all. I am prescribed it 3 times per day and sometimes only take once. I am one of those people who have side effects to everything and make myself think I am having side effects. This drug does not make me feel anything. You will be ok!!!!

A Seeker

Post by A Seeker » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:07 pm

My Dr. prescribed 1MG twice a day of the Lorazepam, which, after reading the previous posts, I'm leary of taking! I've been taking Oxazepam (Serax), 10MG 4 times a day, as needed, which has been helping me. Should I cut the tabs in half and try .5MG four times a day, instead of the 1MG twice a day? All opinions welcome!!!

Marcy

grandma loves arielle

Post by grandma loves arielle » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:51 am

always start with half and go from there.I use as needed and worry about addiction although I dont think it will happen.Some days I need this to function and do my job.It really is a Godsend.If you feel too sleepy try less.Some days you need more some less.I use mostly when going thru change and separation anxiety.Eventually I adjust and dont need it unless its a really bad day!

LyndaLu

Post by LyndaLu » Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:22 pm

I was on Lorazepam after my breakdown in 2007. I was taking three a day. I do not take it anymore because I am taking other psychiatric medications prescribed by my physician. If you have any questions or fears or worries about your presciptions, please discuss them with the prescibing physician and be assertive and get as much information as you can. Be conscious of what you are feeling and what meds you are taking. Don't self-medicate, that never works out. All medicines have side effects and if this medication is not right for you, another one MAY be. Keep writing ! Lynda Lu

West Coast

Post by West Coast » Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:21 am

Thank u all for your comments and post. I have the same concerns about Lorazepam.. I have a bottle of 30/.o5 mg for 4 months and have only taken a half of one twice. They really do relax me and keeps me from having a panick attack, but I don't want to be addicted so I take as needed, like when I'm outstuck in traffick in 117 degree day in the summer living here in Las Vegas. That's what triggers my attacks...

Return to “Prescription Medication Discussion”