Has anyone not taken their AD long enough and had anxiety return?

Questions and experiences with prescription medications
maria k

Post by maria k » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:21 am

I was wondering if anyone with recurring anxiety bouts have had it come back as a result of not taking their AD long enough. I am on my 3rd round of Lexapro, but I was wondering if my anxiety is back because its going to be lifelong, or because maybe I didnt take the AD long enough.

I took Lex 2 times before, but the first time after weaning up, only stayed on it 1 month after feeling better and the 2nd stayed on it 6 months. I read somewhere that if you dont take an AD for 1-2 years symptom free that it can cause your anxiety to come back. Has anyone else had experience with this?

I never had problems until about 3 years ago after taking fertility drugs and trying to conceive for 6 years.

Thanks and my thoughts and prayers go out to all those suffering,

Maria

Paisleegreen

Post by Paisleegreen » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:40 am

Well, I never felt I had anxiety when I started on anti-depressants. I was full blown depressed to the point I couldn't get out of bed to take care of things. I felt I was in a dark hole.

So anti-depressants helped me...but last year I weaned off of them after at least 10 years of being on them. Along with weaning off of them, I was then introduced to Xanax to help with a "rubbery leg" feeling.

So two months after being weaned off of both the Xanax and Wellbutrin, and a long road trip, etc. I had my first panic attack! I then was put on Remeron after attempting to go back on Zoloft and then Wellbutrin at a lose dose. They were so energizing for me that I had to take a Xanax to feel Calm!

Anyway, I was on 15mgs of Remeron upped to 37.5mg and Beta Blockers over the summer. Then I weaned off the Beta Blockers, (not fun)and now I'm back down to just 15mgs of Remeron and I've always taken Restoril to help me sleep due to restless leg syndrome.

So right now I'm experiencing life w/ the 15 mgs of Remeron at night and nothing else to counter any anxiety symptoms. I have Xanax if I absolutely need it to nibble on or if I had a full blown panic attack. So far I've done fine and went through the holidays and stressful events with family members, etc.

I plan on weaning off of the Remeron completely when I feel ready. I would like to be back walking outside again and/or going to the health club for exercise. But as of this morning, I did feel some feelings of "butterflies" in my gut, but not at all the intensity I had before I came here and got Lucinda's CDs to listen to.

Plus I have a new Psychologist who is helping me as well.

P.S. I read that people can get panic attacks after they have been on a Tranquilizer for quite some time, so that could explain my first panic attacks. But since you are here, you are more educated on what anxiety symptoms are, I didn't have a clue about anxiety symptoms.

Hope this helps. :) Paislee

AshleyZ

Re: Has anyone not taken their AD long enough and had anxiet

Post by AshleyZ » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:28 am

I have taken anxiety medication for a few years off and on. I went off probably 3 times and always had to go back on after a few months the anxiety returned. For me it was because I didn't learn coping methods at all while on medication so the thought patterns were still there but just the intensity stopped from meds. I heard that counseling/CBT and meds are the best combination for if your wanting to go off afterwards.

Pauly J

Re: Has anyone not taken their AD long enough and had anxiet

Post by Pauly J » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:52 pm

It is recommended to stay on an antidepressant for at least 6 months minimum! 12-18 months is better, it can help to prevent a relapse! Unless you are prone to anxiety and panic, you may benefit from taking your meds for a longer period!

pauly j

Return to “Prescription Medication Discussion”