Back on Effexor...

Questions and experiences with prescription medications
jadee

Post by jadee » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:04 am

Just when I thought all was well, my anxiety came back... I was off work a about two years ago for about 9 months because my anxiety was that bad. My doctor prescribed me Effexor XR, and other than some minor side effects (nausea, dizziness)it worked great. Helped me get my life back together and start working again. I have been working now for over a year. I left my boyfriend, gotten my own place and things seemed to be going well for me. Or so I thought anyways, my anxiety has come back full force making it hard for me to do anything. I went to see my doctor, who prescribed the Effexor again. Tonight will be night number 3 of me being on it. Last night was a night from hell, I woke up in a cold sweat my body felt like it was being electrically shocked and my head felt so weird... It almost felt like I was going to lose consciousness. This is kinda scary. I didnt have this many side effects the last time I was on this drug. Ive started off with the basic 37.5 mg (same as last time) does anyone have any idea how long these side effects will last for? Or have any ideas on how to better cope with them? I feel like im stuck between a rock and a hard place.
When I am anxious it is because I am living in the future. When I am depressed it is because I am living in the past. ~Author Unknown

jpinperth

Post by jpinperth » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:15 am

Hi

You may find increasing the dose aqctually helps. I take 262.5, I wouldn't suggest that dose but maybe up to 75 mg with your doc's ok. I had nightmares the first week I went back on it, but that has now passed. Good luck with Effexor, I was doing cymbalta and it made me so sick everyday untilI took myself off of it and went back to Effexor.

Janet

jadee

Post by jadee » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:28 am

Yeah I will be moving back up to 75 mg after doing the 37.5 for a week. I guess I just have to deal with whatever side effects come along with it until its in my system. Effexor really helped me before, and im hoping it will do the same this time around.
When I am anxious it is because I am living in the future. When I am depressed it is because I am living in the past. ~Author Unknown

brandonmississippi

Post by brandonmississippi » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:54 am

I've been on effexor for nearly 3 years. I'm on 225 mg, and it works great, as far as I know. Hard to tell after so long. It does not help with my anxiety, though. I need a whole different drug for that. I'm on inderal for anxiety. Plus the effexor, so you may want to ask your doctor about it. It is used for patients with high blood pressure, but it's great for anxiety because it kind of lowers your ability to get so worked up. It's worth asking about. Good luck.

mcshope

Post by mcshope » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:09 pm

Excesive sweating could be a side effect of the Effexor, I remember waking up in the middle of the night and having to change pijamas.
Hopefully it will pass once your body gets use to it.
"Worrying does not empty tomorrow of its trouble, it empties today of its strength." – Unknown

jadee

Post by jadee » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:47 pm

yess i hopee this all stops soon... ive taken the week off work while i am feeling this way, and i cant really afford to lose any more time than that. Im just trying to stay positive. This too shall pass. Thanks for the input guys :)

A Seeker

Post by A Seeker » Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:08 pm

My Dr. just prescribed Effexor 37.5 MG but told me to take 1/2 tab for the first week, then a whole tab. Has anyone else had bad side effects with this drug? He also prescribed Klonopin 0.5 MG to take twice a day, along with the Effexor, for my anxiety. I've been on Serax for months and it's losing its effectiveness. I've been taking it (10 MG) four times a day. Any advice on the Klonopin from anyone?

Kathie C.

Post by Kathie C. » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:23 pm

I took Effexor for years, but eventually it had no beneficial effects any more, so I weaned off of it. Tried Celexa (I think) and Lexapro, both with disastrous emotional results, so I take only SAMe (over-the-counter I get from great internet health supplement site) instead. I've been on 1mg Clonazepam (generic for Klonepin) for years. Used to take more, eventually weaned myself off, but had to go back on even though I take 5-HTP (OTC also, recommended for Fibromyalgia, which I have). Don't think I will ever be able to go without the 1mg Clonazepam. Hope this all makes some sense--SAMe for depression, Clonazepam (Klonapin) for anxiety.
Kathie

MsPurple

Post by MsPurple » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:49 pm

I've been on Effexor for 7 years. I've kept it at 75 mg purposely so I could work on my anxiety coping skills while it decreases in effectiveness. I don't even know if it even has much of an effect any more. I take 2 if I'm in for a super stressful day (like if I'm going to be seeing my Dad that day) which helps me stay calm. I considered weaning off of it, but then I worry about the withdrawal symptoms and whether I can function without it. What if I get too stressed? What if I slip into depression again? Basically, what if I can't do it? I haven't tried.

Lisa1662

Post by Lisa1662 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:03 pm

Boy do I ever know what your feeling. I just got off them after taking them for only a couple months,but mine withdrawl symptoms were horrible. I actually went to the emergency room because I felt so funny. It last about a good solid 2 weeks for me. I work for a doctors office so I learn a lot about these meds,and had much better results from Pristique,but insurance didn't cover the med. After the episode that I had with Effexor I vowed I would never take a medication in the anti-depressant family again. Hope this helps and good luck!

Return to “Prescription Medication Discussion”