Need positive feedback from Lexapro user on 20mg pls

Questions and experiences with prescription medications
maria k

Post by maria k » Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:51 pm

I am in need of some serious help guys. I started on 10mg lex for 5 weeks, then went to 15mg for a month. I was feeling a little better a few weeks ago, and then this week my anxiety returned worse than before with bad panic attacks. I was told to go to 20, but am so worried this is not working since its been 2 months now and I shouldnt have gotten worse. I am confused b/c a few years ago, I took 15 and it helped after a few months, but I never got the rebound anxiety after 2 months last time. Also, I am confused b/c it was working a little this time, so why would it stop after a whole month.

Please, please someone tell me they had similiar a experience and that 20mg eventually helped. I am so scared to try another AD b/c Ive been so sick weaning up on ths (I also started slow at 5 mg, then 7.5mg before going to 10). Thanks so much. Any insight would be helpful.Im really scared.

Thanks alot, Maria

Jim Mitchell

Post by Jim Mitchell » Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:28 am

Hi Maria,

I'm taking 30mg of Lex. This dosage helps with my obsessive thinking much more than 20mg. Even at 30mg, I still get anxiety but I'm able to use the techniques of the program to keep it under control. I've tapered off the Lex too soon in the past and it backfired. I'm sticking with it longer this time.

I know it's hard but try not to worry about the medication not working. The worst thing that can happen is you can try something different.

What are you anxious about? Are you obsesively worrying about a single thing or do you just have a generalized anxiety about many things? Are you fearing the anxiety itself? Let us know so we can point you in the right direction.

Good luck,
Jim

maria k

Post by maria k » Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:56 am

Yes. Exactly. I am worried about the feelings anxiety brings. I absolutely dread it and am afraid of staying this way my whole life. I am very sensesitive to meds, so to think of trying something else, and then weaning off and getting withdrawal symptoms on top of the uncured anxiety is unbearable. I was feeling normal until a few months ago and want so deparately to have that back. Yes, if you have any recommendations, I truly would appreciate it. Thanks for the reply. Maria

Jim Mitchell

Post by Jim Mitchell » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:22 am

If it's the physical symptoms that you fear, I would ask your doctor about propranolol (Inderal) as needed. It is a beta blocker which blocks your bodies response to the fight-or-flight adrenalin rush. It works great. You can take it whenever needed to squash the physical symptoms. It was originally used for blood pressure reduction but it is very effective for anxiety and migraines as well.

You may even be able to quit the Lex.

Here's a link to reviews:

http://www.revolutionhealth.co...anxiety-disorder-gad

Good luck,
Jim

maria k

Post by maria k » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:51 am

Thanks so much. At least I know I have a few options if it doesnt work. I just increased the lex to 20 mg this morning and I see some people with success on that dose when 10 wasnt enough. I am praying it works and I wont need anything. But thanks for the info. I will look up the reviews. Maria

Bullitt

Post by Bullitt » Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:32 pm

I just started on Lexapro 6 weeks ago. I have GAD. At first I was on 10mg. It took about 10 days for it to really start working. After 2 weeks I was still a bit on edge. My Dr. increased it to 20mg. That has been 4 weeks now and I have felt great.

maria k

Post by maria k » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:57 am

UPDATE: Just an update to help those who are new to this.... Last year at this time, I was soooo worried the lexapro wasnt working on my second go round. Well, after 5 MONTHS of weaning up in total and 2 FULL months at 20 mgs, it FINALLY kicked in and I felt like myself again.

I felt great and continued on it for 6 months, but being the personality of not wanting to be on any meds, I slowly weaned down after 6 months at 20mgs. I was absolutely normal and myself after being off it for 6 more months but alas, these last few weeks, it has slowly crept back in.

Both times with Lex, after feeling good (first time only needed 15mg- 2nd time needed 20mg), I only stayed on it 6 months (obviously not enough time). Sooo, I am going to start it a 3rd time, but this time will stay on it longer. Also, before I start, I am going to try to remember that the anxiety gets worse (at least with me) with these meds BEFORE it gets better, so I HAVE to take a benzo during the process and not sweat taking it because it does help. I have seen too many people (myself included) afraid to take it for fear of getting hooked. But once the AD kicks in, you will slowly get off it. I did every time and never had an addiction or withdrawal problem.

Good luck all and Im sure Ill see you on here when my anxiety kicks up and I start panicking Im never gonna get better again. lol. At the very least, this anxiety nightmare has educated me tons and I wanted to pass it on to those who are frightened.

Take care, Maria

Return to “Prescription Medication Discussion”