Hydroxyzine to replace ativan

Questions and experiences with prescription medications
shello

Post by shello » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:35 pm

Has anyone tried Hydroxyzine for anxiety? My doctor just prescribed it to replace my ativan for PRN anxiety
"Remember, when the world pushes you to your knees you are in the perfect position to pray."

shello

Post by shello » Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:21 am

will someone please answer this question? I am afraid to change meds and was wondering it anyone has tried hydroxyzine (aka Vistaril)
"Remember, when the world pushes you to your knees you are in the perfect position to pray."

SilverLining

Post by SilverLining » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:21 pm

Hi Shello, I wish I could help you but I take xanax and honestly I have never heard of hydroxyzine. Maybe someone else will see this post and be able to share their experience with it. If not, if you have any questions or concerns about switching, talk to your doctor.

Be well. :)
Peace I leave with you. My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.

CORGIMOM8

Post by CORGIMOM8 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:41 pm

SHELLO,
THEY GAVE MY MOTHER HYDROXYZINE TO TAKE FOR ITCHING, IT IS AN ANTIHISTAMINE. MY VET PRESCRIBED IT FOR MY CHIHUAHUA TO TAKE FOR HER ALLERGIES IT WAS A 10 MG TABLET. I MYSELF TAKE ATIVAN 1 MG DOSE ONCE OR TWICE A DAY, BUT I DO NOT DO WELL WITH ANTIHISTAMINES AND HAD NEVER HEARD OF IT BEING USED TO TREAT ANXIETY.
I HOPE THIS INFO HELPS YOU.
TAKE CARE, CORGIMOM8

Molly77

Post by Molly77 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:44 am

I am actually on Hydroxyzine and it is used for anti-anxiety as well as itching due to allergies. It helps a bit but I have to use the program as well. I take 1/2 of a 10mg pill because when I took a whole one I went woozy. Meaning, I felt light headed and EXTREMELY relaxed in a short time and I had to drive and be at work. With taking half it takes the edge off the anxiety. The anxiety is there because of my thoughts but it helps with the edge. I take the other 1/2 at lunch time. (by doctors orders if I only take half a pill in the morning, to take the other half at noon.) I was on Xanax 5mg but that made me too sleepy. Sometimes I take 1/2 a Xanax at night if I cannot sleep but that is also directed by my doctor. So I have taken both together. Does that help you?

shello

Post by shello » Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:47 pm

it does thanks. I am not big on pills but I would like to get off my ativan if possible. I am afraid to take it. I guess when I run out of ativan I will take it. It will be awhile.

Return to “Prescription Medication Discussion”