Ativan - increase dosage due to anxiety?

Questions and experiences with prescription medications
Chandler

Post by Chandler » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:52 pm

I'm really feeling tremendous anxiety now. It began when I was given the antibiotic CIPRO, which seemed to trigger the anxiety. Now, 2 months later it still is growing in response to some medical issues (I get really anxious when I have long term medical problems).

Anyway, I had begun tapering Ativan (a 5% reduction per week at a compounding pharmacy). This is a really mild reduction.

The problem is that the anxiety is so intense I am wondering if I should just go back up to taking more Ativan again, then taper again from the higher dose once I am stabilized. Does that even make sense?

Note: I just ordered the program today.

At times I feel like running to an ER just to get something to relieve this free floating anxiety. Yet people around me tell me I can conquer it myself without meds. But the anxiety is getting worse, and I'm scared.

I realize no one can definitely tell me what to do. I am seeing a doctor in 2 days, and suspect he will just immediately put me on some poison, and fear I will accept it in the hope it will work.

Note: I began Ativan 5 years ago in response to TMJ which hurt a lot, causing me great anxiety. It was a miracle - the anxiety was gone! But no one told me it was highly addictive and should only be used when needed. So 5 years later I am still on it, but at a reduced dosage. Also, did everyone know that a drug like Ativan is only effective about 6 months to a year? It seems you otherwise have to keep increasing the dose. That is insane!

Post by Guest » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:17 am

I am on ativan also. I was taking 3mg per day at the height of my anxiety. When it was origionally prescribed I had no idea it was physically and mentally addictive, all I knew was that when I took it the anxiety disappeared. I did not realize how addictive it was until I tried to quit cold turkey. The anxiety comes back ten fold. I talked to my Dr. and worked out a taper off plan with gradual reductions. I am now down to .5mg at bedtime and it is getting easier as I am becoming mentally stronger. To make a long story short every time I reduced the dosage I would get horrible anxiety and body aches but they seemed to get less intense as I progressed. The thing that helped me most was distraction. Even though the last thing I wanted to do when I felt that way was exercise, I forced myself to and was miserable the whole time I was exercising. But after I was done I realized I was focusing on the exercise making me miserable and not the ativan withdrawal. And ironically enough now I kinda enjoy the exercise. Sorry its so long winded but I know where you are at and I know where you ar going and that it is possible to get there. It just takes time. Good luck.

Post by Guest » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:59 am

I know how you feel. I am currently on Ativan (.5 mg x 3 times day), and I feel that it is not effective. I feel that I have to increase the doze. I will talk to my doctor, and let you know what he says. Good luck. Michael.

Return to “Prescription Medication Discussion”