Should I or should I???

Questions and experiences with prescription medications
happiest girl

Post by happiest girl » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:35 am

I have had anxiety for over ten years. Not continously, just spiratically. I was on Celexa after my divorce and I lost my job and it worked WONDERFUL. Now fast forward a couple of years I have tried Lexepro-stopped because of HORRIBLE headaches. Now I got have Effexor and I have had it for weeks, I am really affraid of the side effects nausea/weight gain/headaches and all of that fun stuff.

If anybody has any input, that would greatly help.

:)

Paisleegreen

Post by Paisleegreen » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:17 am

Hi, I've been on Effexor after my son committed suicide. It worked great, but I was already on Wellbutrin and Serzone before his death.

The Serzone was discontinued due to it being sedating according to my old Psychiatrist at the time. I only went on anti-depressants because I couldn't get out of bed due to depression in the first place.

I'm wondering if I had this program earlier and a good therapist if I even needed to be on anti-depressants. All I can say, is that they helped me when life was not going well.

Now I'm on Remeron and I lowered my dosage by 7.5 mgs due to concern over weight gain. I take it at night and I really don't care for it, but the DR knew that I wouldn't take the Xanax so that is why he wanted me to stay on Remeron. I have been doing pretty good w/ my reducing 7.5mg because I am eating healthy foods, been on here posting everyday and I see a Psychologist about twice a month.

I have minimal responsibilities now at home and I do service work that isn't too stressful. I am taking "Baby Steps" as I go about life.

I still have things to work on...but not the stressors I had that brought on my deep depression way before my son's death. Paislee

happiest girl

Post by happiest girl » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:32 am

I am so sorry about your son. I too have lost 4 close family members in the past 10 yrs and it was horrible 3 natural deaths and the 4th, it was ruled an accidental death. As I am sure you know the Holidays are rough.

Thanks for your feedback.

Best wishes.

;)

Paisleegreen

Post by Paisleegreen » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:07 am

Thank you, Happiest Girl--:) Yes, the holidays are the hardest and this son was our Santa. He would be the first to get out to the garage and bring in my Christmas Village boxes so that I would get them set up on the fireplace hearth.

Also, made sure we got the tree and get it decorated, because soon there would be presents underneath. We would decorate the tree listening to Christmas music.

I'm so sorry about your family members as well. It seems the past 10 years we have lost a close loved one every year, well the latest was my beloved dog and other pets. But my world and timeline is always before my son's death and after.

So like you talk about weight gain. I weighed 112 lbs before my son's death then started gaining after. I know part of it was the grief and partly the meds.

Do you have anxiety about looking into the future for "future deaths" happening? Or accidents?

happiest girl

Post by happiest girl » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:56 am

Well, it is like this I would say yes I am very afraid to loose anyone else in my family-infact I am terrified because I will just have me.

happiest girl

Post by happiest girl » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:50 am

I was thinking about my brief post last night. I just wanted to say thank you for sharing your story with me. I am going to start taking my Effexor this weekend-so if I get wild side effects I will not have to worry about being at work and the stresses that that accompany that. Like Lucida says "NO BIG DEAL".
But, I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers that you have a nice weekend.

Paisleegreen

Post by Paisleegreen » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:18 am

Hi Happiest girl--I read your last post and thought...weekend? You're right, it is Friday! I can't believe it. I think you will do fine on Effexor.

Yes, that would be hard to lose anyone else causing you to be alone. :( My thoughts and prayers are with you too. You have a super weekend. I will still be here posting since I have the time and need. :D

happiest girl

Post by happiest girl » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:36 am

Apparently, I need to just try it. Maybe the anticpation of the potential side-effects just has given me more anxiety.
;)

Karmerri

Post by Karmerri » Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:40 am

Paisleegreen and happiest girl...

Paisleegreen, you have replied to a few of my previous posts and sometimes I don't come on this site much, but I was reading your posts and let me say, you both have been thru soooo much. I have to admit, sometimes I wake up and have a 'why me' attitude and then I hear stories like you guys'. I am so sorry about your losses and it's amazing you come on here and give encouragement to others. I hope you both have a great Holiday Season and a very Happy New Year!

Frank78

Post by Frank78 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:17 am

I was on effexor for about 8 years. The only side effects I noticed was loss of sex drive a bit and the odd nausea. Other than that I didnt find any weight gain. Over all the pill did its job in a sence to stabilize my mood and i felt less anxiety. If you have any other questions about my experience with it feel free to ask

Return to “Prescription Medication Discussion”