CBT + MEDS

Questions and experiences with prescription medications
LyndaLu

Re: CBT + MEDS

Post by LyndaLu » Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:14 am

I am still very, very slowly eliminating the psychiatric medications from my life.
I have not been coping very well lately and I have been riding a bit of an emotional roller coaster.
A short while back I had started Session Nine and then had a bit of a meltdown and quit
working on the program. I even quit journaling and listening to the relaxation CD.
I have not been writing on the website with the frequency I once was.
I know that I will get over this "hump" soon and all will be well.
Hope everyone is having a great summer.
Stay Strong and God Bless,
Lynda :)

lilchrissy

Re: Re:

Post by lilchrissy » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:59 pm

LyndaLu wrote:
missobsessive wrote:I was just wondering how long you typically are on meds while going through cbt. I've just read a lot about the high success rate when the two are combined, and was wondering how long you usually would be on the meds. Are you supposed to take them for just the duration of the therapy if you are doing well?

Has anyone tried this before?
Is everyone writing here on this "CBT & MEDS" section off of all of their medications ?
I am still taking my medications at this time, but I am working on the program and I am weaning myself
off of the medications very, very gradually.
Lynda
Hi Lynda,

I will just reiterate what several have said already. Make sure your new coping skills are in place before coming off meds and when you do taper off taper off slowly. I have been off meds for so long now I can't even remember the last time I took an aspirin :P
One of the best things for me about learning how to cope on my own and get off meds was the surge in my self-esteem.
I hope you and everyone else are doing well Lynda!

coachchris

Post by coachchris » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:07 pm

We see this happening everyday in coaching. Meds and the program/tools work great together for a lot of people. We are all trying to find the right recipe for our own personal story. There is no right way or wrong way it's just what works for you. I tell everyone to work toward 6 months of feeling good and using your tools and then start thinking about making med changes. Our goal is for every week to be a better week!!

LyndaLu

Post by LyndaLu » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:39 am

I would like to thank everyone for sharing
their coping strategies. You have given
me hope for the days to come.
Lynda :)

egriff

Post by egriff » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:34 pm

Anytime Lynda. I am just trying to pay it forward!

lilchrissy

Post by lilchrissy » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:47 pm

egriff wrote:Anytime Lynda. I am just trying to pay it forward!
Good job and we all are egriff :D

egriff

Post by egriff » Fri May 24, 2013 6:37 pm

lilchrissy wrote:
egriff wrote:Anytime Lynda. I am just trying to pay it forward!
Good job and we all are egriff :D
Thanks and good point! Have you heard from Lynda at all I am wondering how she is doing?

lilchrissy

Post by lilchrissy » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:16 pm

Have not heard from Lynda :(
Hope she comes back and updates us soon!

egriff

Post by egriff » Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:16 pm

Thanks Chrissy. I have been busy and had an issue at work that has kept me away for a while, but all is well now. How are you doing?

LyndaLu

Post by LyndaLu » Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:09 pm

Hello All:
I went off of all of my psychiatric medications almost 2 years ago due
to the fact that I no longer had
any income whatsoever and I also had no health insurance. It was a very dark time for me.

My very brief recent history:
I had a major breakdown in 2007. Lost my job due to workforce reduction in 2009. I went through
my Severance, my Retirement money, and my Unemployment money. I had the Cobra Insurance
for 18 months, but that expired in February 2012. My Unemployment money ended in May 2012.
My sister gave me money to live each month for several months.
She was my sole financial support.

I was severely depressed and isolated and I cried every day. I had no medications. I had no coping
skills and I had no hope. In January 2013 I won my Disability case in front of a Social Security
Disability judge. Immediately I qualified for Medicare. And I also received some back-dated settlement money. All should have been well after that, right ? But it wasn't. I did not have
Prescription Coverage ( this is a long story ), so I still had to pay cash for my medications. So, I
still was not taking any psychiatric medications early in 2013. I was very, very isolated. All I
did was watch television, day in and day out. My mother became very ill at the end of 2013.
This put me at the end of my rope, psychologically.

In October 2013 I was admitted to the hospital ( the psyche ward ).
Everything got better from the moment I got there. All of a sudden I had a clear mind.
I cannot explain it, except it was like a "light bulb" moment. I accepted my illness and embraced
it for the first time. I started being receptive right away.
I was already learning coping skills at the hospital, there
were "classes" almost every single day at the hospital.
I was put back on some medications while in the hospital.
Thank goodness they did not "drug me up". They put me on just a few medications and I don't feel
that they were over medicating me whatsoever. As soon as I was released from the hospital
I was enrolled in an Intensive Outpatient Program. This was a god-send. I was finally getting
the help I needed. This was a 6 week program and I attended 5-6 days a week for
the entire day. I must have had a million angels on my shoulders ! I mean it. Was it luck
or destiny that I had a clear mind, that all of these services and opportunities were suddenly
coming my way, and that now I was learning the skills to help lead me to recovery.
And the teachers and facilitators and therapists were great. I was finally fitting
in and meeting people just like me ! I knew they were out there SOMEWHERE.
I have learned so much from my peers.

My mom died in December 2013 and I was able to handle it ( with my new coping skills, my new
medications and my sisters support ). 2014 is looking SO MUCH better than all of the past
8 years before this. I can't screw this up, I just have to keep up the momentum and my
motivation. I can't let one dark day or one panic attack get me down. I was told in my classes
to "practice, practice, practice" ! I guess I am going to be practicing for A LONG TIME !

Hope is the most important positive attitude. I think I finally have that hope.

PS: I want to thank everyone who was thinking about me while I was gone. This brought tears
to my eyes today.

The first thing I am grateful for each morning ? I am grateful to be alive.
It's as simple as that.

LyndaLu :)

Return to “Prescription Medication Discussion”