Lexapro Users

Questions and experiences with prescription medications
Keeping the Faith

Post by Keeping the Faith » Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:24 am

Hi there. I know we're all different, but I have a few general questions....

I was on Lexapro for about 5 year I think. Stopped in the summer (June?) and am going through divorce and BAD anxiety so started taking again.

I was on 10mg tabs. I want to minimize side effects as much as possible, but not sure if taking a quarter tablet for a week will even make a difference and should I just do the 5mg dose?

I don't even remember if I HAD any effect, but don't want to risk it as I feel like crap already.

Do you know how long it took you to not feel such bad anxiety once you started?

Thank you!

maria k

Post by maria k » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:08 am

Hi,

Both times I took Lex, I started at 2.5 fro 4 days since Im very sensitive to meds. But I realized that the 5mg is not going to be much different (as I have the extra anxiety when starting up anyway) so why not speed up the process. It is very important that you ask your dr for xanax like pills while first starting so if it is bad for you, you can take that in the beginning. After the AD kicks in, you will not need it and can slowly stop.

My experience is this...Last year at this time, I was soooo worried the lexapro wasnt working on my second go round. Well, after 5 MONTHS of weaning up in total and 2 FULL months at 20 mgs, it FINALLY kicked in and I felt like myself again.

I felt great and continued on it for 6 months, but being the personality of not wanting to be on any meds, I slowly weaned down after 6 months at 20mgs. I was absolutely normal and myself after being off it for 6 more months but alas, these last few weeks, it has slowly crept back in.

Both times with Lex, after feeling good (first time only needed 15mg- 2nd time needed 20mg), I only stayed on it 6 months (obviously not enough time). Sooo, I am going to start it a 3rd time, but this time will stay on it longer. Also, before I start, I am going to try to remember that the anxiety gets worse (at least with me) with these meds BEFORE it gets better, so I HAVE to take a benzo (Xanax) during the process and not sweat taking it because it does help. I have seen too many people (myself included) afraid to take it for fear of getting hooked. But once the AD kicks in, you will slowly get off it. I did every time and never had an addiction or withdrawal problem.

Good luck. Things will get better. Just keep the faith. lol

Maria

maria k

Post by maria k » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:09 am

oh and to answer your question. Each time I increased the dosage, I felt extra anxiety for a few days and then it leveled out. It never lasted more than 10 days. But thats why the xanax is important.

Return to “Prescription Medication Discussion”