Wellbutrin XL

Questions and experiences with prescription medications
Mrs. Strong

Post by Mrs. Strong » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:29 am

Hello all. I am going to be starting Wellbutrin Xl (or probably the generic) in a few days for anxiety and I am also on xanax. Has anyone here ever taken that combination before and done okay with it? The doc want to take me off of xanax but I have been on it since 2006 at .25mg twice a day. I am scared about trying a new med and I saw on the internet that the combination of both drugs could cause seizures. I talked to 3 pharmacists about this and they said it shouldnt be a problem. I guess I am asking if anyone takes the conbo of drugs I have mentioned and also has anyone taken the generic of wellbutrin and how they responed to it. I know we are all different but I am in need of some advice. Thank you in advance.
Kathy Strong

Joan Mc

Post by Joan Mc » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:24 pm

Hi Mrs. Strong.
I have been on Welbutrin xl for many years( I'm guessing about 15). I have been taking .50mg of zanax as needed for about 4 years. I usually average 1 or 2 a week. I have had no ill effects from taking the meds. together. I recommend doing some research on the internet. :)

Paisleegreen

Post by Paisleegreen » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:41 am

Hi Mrs. Strong :) I've been on Wellbutrin for at least 10 years that I can think of. I also weaned myself off of it with the help of Xanax.

I was on Wellbutrin and Cymbalta for quite some time, but I wanted to get off of the Cymbalta as I felt it was causing my weight gain. So due to rubbery leg feeling, I was put on .5mg of Xanax to counter the "rubbery leg" feeling. Which at the time didn't know it was due to withdrawals and anxiety.

Like I said, I weaned off of them both last year with the help of Dr David Burns 10 Steps to Self Esteem Workbook and a Psychologist. The goal wasn't to wean off of Wellbutrin, I just started to feel better.

I also took with the Wellbutrin, Restoril to help me sleep due to Restless Leg Syndrome and my husband snoring.

I'm now on 15 mgs of Remeron at night and Restoril. I do plan on weaning off of the Remeron.

Good Luck. :) Paislee

Hope Overcoming!!

Post by Hope Overcoming!! » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:33 am

I have been on almost all depression meds, I currently am taking 400 mg of wellbutrin tablets a day, I like it , it supresses my appetite, and gives me energy, I take klonapin with them and do fine.

happy2b

Post by happy2b » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:39 am

Hi Mrs.Strong ! I ust started the generic of Wellbrutin three days ago. My doc. switched me from Effexor to Wellbrutin, and I'm having terrible side effects so far. He also has me taking Klonapin in the day, AND I take a .5 Xanax about two hours before I go to bed, at which time I take an ambien. The added Klonapin has helped alot, and this is only temporarly because of these side effects. Have you started on the Wellbrutin yet ? I take the generic of all the drugs I mentioned. I hope this helps. If you have any suggestions for me I'd greatly appreciate it. I know a sunny beach would surely help right about now. Best of Luck to you.

G.A. McGarrigle

Re: Wellbutrin XL

Post by G.A. McGarrigle » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:27 am

I just started the program this week.I've always been alittle anxious,but never had to take medsbutit got real bad when my wife and I split up after 20 years of marriage and 4 children.I never took any meds at that time,and I had a noisy responsible job,with bad management.It was 10 months before I went to my doctor,after I had lost 20 pounds.He put me on 0.5mgs. of xanax,and it really helped me,but it was 7 weeks before I could go back to work.There's been a lot of things that happened to me in the last 20yrs,to numerous to mention,such as being back with my wife for 5 yrs.and then divorcing.Marrying again,which was a big mistake,and then another divorce.This woman only wanted Canadian Permanent Residency,and then left.I was off the Xanax when I met her,but had to go on it again,but a lower dosage,0.25 mgs twice daily,when needed and 100mgs of wellbutin.I have no side effects with either drugs.I believe Xanax is the best drug for anxiety.Gerald McGarrigle...New Brunswick...Canada

G.A. McGarrigle

Post by G.A. McGarrigle » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:33 am

I want to add to my previous letter that I also have been diagnosed with sleep apnea.I have the C-Pap machine,but doesn't do me any good,as it makes it worse.Gerald McGarrigle

HBaker29

Post by HBaker29 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:20 am

Mrs. Strong, I am taking the generic of wellbutrin and my Dr. also prescribed me xanax which I got the generic of. The generic wellbutrin seems to help somewhat for me, and I don't take the xanax, so I can't really help you with anything that might happen taking that combination. I would hope that my Dr. would give them to me if there was a bad side effect to them though. I would try them together, but apparently I am like other people who have a phobia with medication all together. I am trying to overcome this fear, if anyone knows how to do that, I could surely use the advice!!! I think I would feel a whole lot better if I would take my medicine

LyndaLu

Post by LyndaLu » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:58 pm

Gerald: I have been taking 75mg twice a day of Bupropion ( generic for Wellbutrin ) for probably four years and I feel fine. I am on other medications as well, but the Wellbutrin has been working for me. I hope that you keep in touch with us and keep working on the Program. Working on the Program is the best thing you can do in addition to taking your medications as your doctor has ordered. Work the Program at your own pace and take "baby steps" and you WILL see improvement each day. Lynda Lu

LyndaLu

Post by LyndaLu » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:08 pm

Gerald: I can TOTALY relate to your job situation. I used to work in a similar kind of work environment that you did. I lost 60 pounds and had a breakdown before I saw a doctor ! I was on Short Term Disability for five months before I was able to return to work ! Unfortunately two years later I was layed off from my job due to "workforce reduction" and I am now unemployed. Do I miss my old job, NO. Am I bummed out about being unemployed, YES, but I am so glad to be out of the job environment that really set me up for a whole lot of anxiety and panic attacks. I am free from a workplace that was so negative. I haven't found a job yet, but I am glad that I am feeling a lot better in the Behavioral Health arena, but unfortunately I have gained all of the weight back that I had lost ! Lynda Lu

Return to “Prescription Medication Discussion”