Generic vs Brand Name

Questions and experiences with prescription medications
sunshine3

Post by sunshine3 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:33 am

Does anyone know if taking the generic of a medication is not as effective as the brand name? Any one have experience with this?

kellygirl51

Re: Generic vs Brand Name

Post by kellygirl51 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:39 pm

YES!! I thought I was going crazy. I am on Effexor 150mg and about a year ago my pharmacy changed to the generic brand, I thought nothing of it until I began to feel withdrawal symptoms (I knew what I was feeling because I had weaned of Effexor a few years ago). I am a nurse so I began doing research and found an article that said 5% of patients will not effectively absorb generic forms of certain meds. I called my Pharmacist and he said this was true. He now orders name brand Effexor specifically for me. I recently flew to Vancouver and for some insane reason forgot my effexor! The Pharmacist there only had generic Effexor which I had no choice but to take. I thought i was only going to be there for 1 week and would probably be ok. Wrong. I ended up flying home early and now feel horrible to be so tied to this medication. My husband is adamant i don't try and go off it yet as he can't stand to see me suffer without it. You have the right to ask for the brand name medication or your Doctor can write "no substitutions" on your prescription...hope this helps....Kelly

Return to “Prescription Medication Discussion”