Need help... Weaning off Cymbalta

Questions and experiences with prescription medications
Sandina

Post by Sandina » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:15 pm

I have been taking Cymbalta for a couple of years now. The past year I've been on 60mg. I want to have a baby so I'm trying to slowly wean off.

I tried alternating 60mg and 30mg days, but it felt like too much of a jump. Then I tried doing 60, 60, 30, but still felt funky. Then I found a website where people are sharing how they open their pills and remove small amounts of the granules to wean even more slowly.

I took all my pills apart and dumped out a small part of the granules from each pill. I have been taking those "reduced" pills for almost 5 days now, but as each day goes by I feel worse.

Does anyone have any advice on this or can share their experience?

Thanks!

Post by Guest » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:19 pm

Hi Sandina,
I was suggest to talk to your dr. and allow him to wean you off slowly so you won't have those weird side effects... :)

Post by Guest » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:18 pm

I weaned off of Cymbalta while I was still on Wellbutrin. I went back on Serzone which was a mistake, so cold turkey off of Serzone while still on Wellbutrin and found that my legs felt "rubbery". A family Dr subbing for my Pyschiatrist put me on .5 mg generic Xanax. 1/2 pill in the morning and 2 pills at night. During this time I had experienced some very stressful events w/family members. Then I started seeing a Psychologist and worked with Dr David Burns Mood Therapy workbook. Due to working in this workbook and therapy, I naturally weaned myself off of the Xanax and Wellbutrin.
I was med free except for Restoril at night for 2 months. Then after a surprising turn of events due to a family member, not horrible, but very disconcerting. I experienced my first panic attack after I had a massage and then followed that with a muscle relaxant the next day so that when I took my restoril, I felt faint and started to hyperventilate, thus spurring on more reactions and "what ifs" along with that came vomiting up a the med and feeble steps to put food in my stomach with cheese and some bread.

This started some spasms in my Gut and pain. I was a nervous wreck the next day and went back to the family Dr's office only for him to say to take the Xanax when I feel panicky.

I argued that I'm off of Xanax and Wellbutrin, why would I want to go back on it? Anyway 4 months later, change of Drs, retry of wellbutrin and Zoloft, to no avail, too energizing after being off of Antidepressants, I would take a .5mg generic xanax to feel calm.
I was put on generic Remeron and Beta Blockers by a young Physician Assistant.

Then my Psychiatrist weaned me off the Beta Blockers and kept me on the Remeron. I take just a little bit of generic Xanax if needs be, meaning, 1/4 to 1/2 of .5 mg. Very little to what many take or have taken. So here I am on Lucinda's website after my sister sent me an intro CD.

I'm glad to hear and understand more about Panic attacks or Panic Disorder as I have never experienced them before. Only deep depression.
I'm also going through the change, so my Psych DR suggest HRT. But Estrogen can increase cortisol, so I wonder about how helpful that can be. And yet I finally took an Advil after fearing any meds after experiencing my first panic attack and all the rumblings anxiety brings to one's gut system.

Anyway, I'll post this as it is a good question and I have experienced "weaning" off of some meds. Not fun, but recommend gaining knowledge in all areas. One thing why I went cold turkey on the Serzone was that I was dizzy on it and had near missed falls on top of actual falls.

It was worth having the "rubbery legs" feeling to be off of Serzone. Although it served its purpose years ago when I was on it while suffering from depression.

Return to “Prescription Medication Discussion”