Medication change

Questions and experiences with prescription medications
SilverLining

Post by SilverLining » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:09 am

Hello, I have taken xanax for over 11 years. At first it was half of a .25 as needed. I had a newborn and a toddler so it helped me when I was stressed. For most of those 11 years, I only took half of the .25 as needed. Then about 2 years ago, things started getting very stressful; finances, husband's job, marriage, etc. So my doctor upped the dose to .5 1 to 3 times daily as needed. Most of the time I took less than the .5 but was taking it 3 times a day.

Now the last few months, I have found myself taking .5 4 times a day and my doctor wants to switch me to Lexapro or Paxil.

I'M SCARED as I am scared to take new meds anyway. I would rather work on reducing the xanax slowly and not be taking anything. I've, of course, googled info on AD's and they honestly scare me.

Doesn't anyone have any words of wisdom or advice? Has anyone ever been on xanax as long as I have and successfully gotten off? What experiences with an AD? My diagnosis is generalized anxiety disorder, panic disorder and agoraphobia.

I could use some prayer for sure. Thanks, Tammy
Peace I leave with you. My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.

Paisleegreen

Post by Paisleegreen » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:09 am

Hi Tammy :) I've only went on Xanax .5 mg when I was weaning off of my other anti-depressants. So I was at one time on Cymbalta and Wellbutrin at the same time and using Temazepam (Restoril) at night to help me sleep due to restless leg syndrome. Which went away when I was completely off of antidepressants! :p

I took 1 pill or .5mg Xanax during the day while still on Wellbutrin and no other anti-depressants because I complained to my DR that my legs felt "rubbery". This Family Dr who was visiting my Psychiatrist office was the one that put me on Xanax.

Anyway, 1 .5mg during the day and 2 .5mb pill at night. I also started seeing a Psychologist at the same time and working Dr David Burns 10 Steps to Self-Esteem. I was able to wean myself off of both meds by February when I started up in September w/ the therapy and Xanax.

I had some very disappointing news that came late July and early August of last year. Very heartbreaking...not as close to my son's suicide but pretty close in some ways. Anyway, I muddled through and it is possible to go off the Xanax.

I'll write more...I better post this first. :) Paislee

SilverLining

Post by SilverLining » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:13 am

Thanks Paislee for sharing your experience. I would like to hear more. Please feel free to pm anytime. I am looking forward to the day I can be med free and living without fear. :) Tammy
Peace I leave with you. My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.

Paisleegreen

Post by Paisleegreen » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:46 am

I PMed you! :D

Return to “Prescription Medication Discussion”