Initial Lexapro Side Effects

Questions and experiences with prescription medications
yaakov613

Post by yaakov613 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:14 am

Hi,
I began Lexapro last week. I have had on and off nauseau and insomnia.Also, my anxiety has increased a little. Do these side effects subside once the medication gets in your system?
Thanks,
Yaakov

Paisleegreen

Post by Paisleegreen » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:41 am

When I started on anti-depressants, I was at a state of deep depression that I needed something to help me get out of bed. So I first was given Zoloft, which caused me to sleep just fine and I was very mellow.

I don't remember if I was using Restoril to help me sleep at the time. What kept me from sleeping was restless leg syndrome which went away when I got off of Wellbutrin. Just to return when I was put back on some anti-depressants. Which is Remeron.

The nausea should go away and I'm not sure about the insomnia. It seems like I was able to sleep while on anti-depressants if I didn't have restless leg syndrome or too much noise in the house.

tinkerbell29

Post by tinkerbell29 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:13 pm

I have tried lexapro but didn't really like it. I experienced nausea, and it made me yawn uncontrollably. I wouldn't be sleepy but I felt kinda sluggish. I also worried that the only thing it was doing was making me more dependent on medicine. Now I am trying to get over this thing medicine free. Praying I am successful.

maria k

Post by maria k » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:21 am

Yaakov,

To answer your question, I have taken Lexapro 2 x and both times it definitely caused extra anxiety when I started it and when I increased the dosage. Alot of people (including me now) use a Xanax like benzo to get them through the beginning period. It helps tremendously. I am always afraid to take that too b/c it is more addictive, but if you only use it the first few months when you need it, when the ADs kick in, you will not need them anymore and can slowly get off.

Good luck. Im starting again today (3rd time). I think mine came back because I always get off too soon (less than 6 months) b/c I dont like the idea of being on meds. But this time I learned my lessson and HATE this feeling of the anxiety being back and that is alot WORSE than being on the meds.

Take care, Maria

grandma loves arielle

Re: Initial Lexapro Side Effects

Post by grandma loves arielle » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:58 am

I just started lex 2 weeks ago. I feel my mood increased but I still feel very anxious still. Im taking .05 ativan half once or twice a day.I feel great on both meds but my doctor wants me off the ativan on a daily basis.I can use it as needed but not everyday.Im afraid I may not be able to stop the ativan. How long do you need to be on both before the lex works on its own?

johnny77

Post by johnny77 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:41 pm

Hello, i used to take lexapro 10mg. I did not experiance nausea that I can remember but I did have diarreah for a little while. I had may side effects in fact. As far as insomina goes, I experiance that also and it really took a toll on me. I would get maybe what seemed like an 1-3 hours of sleep an night.

Did it subside afterahwile? Yes but it was at least a month or so. In fact I took Ativan for ahwile to help me sleep during this time but the insomnia was so bad. I did however experiance early morning wakeing, about 5 to 5:am and couldn't get back to sleep.

overall, yes it does subside afterawhile. Everyones different so it takes less or longer for some. Your not alone in this and if this medication has more benifits than side effects then by all means I hope this works for you.

fyi,I had the same experiance with prozac(fluoxitine).

anymore questions? keep in touch and take care :D :D

johnny77

Post by johnny77 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:48 pm

Oh and also, just like some of the other users here, I forgot mention that my anxeity increased majorly! I was very paranoid, anxious and could not sit still.

Does this wear off afterwhile. For me yes overtime. Like the others here I also had to take ativan .25mg during the day for ahwile and then .5mg and bedtime. Now I just use it to help with sleep and my sleep has improved alot.

Hope this is helpfull :D

Kathie C.

Post by Kathie C. » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:46 pm

I think Lexapro is NASTY! Had all the side-effects mentioned above and reading these only makes me more certain. I've been on everything over the years, and the only thing that has kept me sane is Clonazepam (generic Klonepin). Been on it for the better part of seven years. Every time I weaned myself off, I got TERRIBLE anxiety again. Never have to increase the dosage, in fact sometimes only take half the one-mg pill, which I've been doing the past two nights and will continue until my anxiety attacks in the morning worsen again.

lolita1

Post by lolita1 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:14 am

I am on lexapro, and judging from what I've read, I think most of my recent issues have to do with my taking this medication. I have the insomnia, the panics that I didn't have before. I was more worried about my depression, and now my anxiety tops it. I also feel tired all day. Has anyone tried a different med that actually works?

grandma loves arielle

Post by grandma loves arielle » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:56 am

i am 19 days now on lex and this morning i felt fine so I took my half a dose of ativan later than usual. an hour later when it usually kicks in I felt all woozy and got so dizzy I couldnt walk. This really scared me ALOT! I sat down for awhile and than got really anxious. I remembered the previous post about house fire with garden hose so I got up still very dizzy and took more ativan and after another hour it went away. I know what others said about the anxiety being worse at first with the Lex but why is that anyone know? I took the lex so not to use the ativan regularly but now im taking more than ever! I want to hang in there with hope that it will settle down but I dont know how long to give it. Im not good at trying any meds so I was very brave in trying the lex. At this point im thinking i may as well just be on the ativan by itself at least i know what to expect. I just hate to give up too soon if its going to eventually work. ALso how would I know if Id need to increase the lex?(scary thought) Im on 10 mg.PLEASE HELP!!!

Return to “Prescription Medication Discussion”