new to meds

Questions and experiences with prescription medications

Post by Guest » Wed May 03, 2006 11:58 am

makeitstop and all, taking meds is a person al decision for sure, nobody should talk you into it. One thing I can tell you is, if you think you are going to have the side effects, you may, unless you just flow with it, you will not be the first to notice the benefits either, others around you will, you will feel foggy at first maybe, but nothing that is worse than going thru the anxiety on a daily basis. One other thing, you should be rpoud of yourselves for taking a stand and making the decision that you do deserve a life and you do want to try to improve yourself. Meds don't have to be forever. One day at a time, you will know if it is working for you or not, but the SSRI's take time to get into your system, if you can just remeind yourself that it takes time and the side effects will disappear as it builds in your system. You are never alone in this! Please don't ever think that!
Kristen

Lynnier

Post by Lynnier » Wed May 03, 2006 2:54 pm

Originally posted by Jane:
FYI: I just found a website that looks promising that talks about methods for tapering off antidepressant and benzos and other medications without side-effects.

I wonder if it would be useful to avoid getting on them in the first place by using these supplements.

<A HREF="http://www.theroadback.org/" TARGET=_blank>http://www.theroadback.org/</A>

Just thought I'd share - I haven't any experience with it.

Let me know if anyone has tried this or is thinking of trying it.

Jane
I would definatly try this first. I have been using these products for months and while I don't think I have had any adverse effects, I have not really gotten better. BUT I now realize I was doing it all wrong. AND I tried to taper to fast on 3 meds. I'm going to start the whole program over again.

Liz V.

Post by Guest » Wed May 03, 2006 2:56 pm

Originally posted by makeitstop:
I just got a prescription for 50 mg zoloft about a week ago, and I have not been able to make myself take them. I am scared to death of the side effects and I nearly give myself an attack just thinking about it. I wanna get better, but how do I get past the freaked out part. Help please
Just my own opinion, I would start with at least half that amount for a week or so to get used to it. Or even less.

Liz

Post by Guest » Thu May 04, 2006 12:42 pm

Originally posted by twiceasnice:
Watching medicine commercials can sometimes freak me out when you hear all the side affects. When I started to take my meds I was afraid too. But then I said to myself, Laura, you want to feel better this medicine is going to make you feel better. I just did it. I took the leap of faith and did it. I had to start somewhere. I used to take 50 mgs of paxil and .25 of zanax as needed. Now I am down to 20 mgs of Paxil and no zanax. It was hard, but worth it. You can do this :) I told myself over and over again LAURA you are worth fighting for. And truth be told, you are. If you need to talk, Im here.

Laura
I am just starting paxil CR this week. How fast did you increase the dose. I too am afraid of side effects, especially being tired, but the anxiety can make you just as tired if not more so.

Naustin

Post by Naustin » Thu May 04, 2006 1:04 pm

Hey all,
Well I went to work today, and I actually had a very productive day. No side effects so far, at least none I can really blame on the meds. I was a little apprehensive driving home, but I just kept telling myself I did well at work and its ok to be tired. I work 12 hour shifts. So now I'm home, we ordered pizza for dinner and I've had my shower and Im ready to get some rest for tomorrow. If I wake up in the night like I did last night I'm going to listen to my relaxation tape and use some positive, comforting words and get back to sleep just as I did last night. All my days arent this great but I will deal with them then. :)
The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything." Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God

Post by Guest » Thu May 04, 2006 4:56 pm

Hi Liz,

Thanks for your comments - I'd love to hear more about how you do with this. I'm still not stablized with my depression yet, so I don't want to go off them just yet - but I always hopd that I can eventually be medication free - and if I hit a "bad patch" that I can survive without getting back on the meds. and using more natural solutions plus the cognitive therapy. You can go to my profile and email me directly if you want.

Originally posted by Liz V.:
Originally posted by Jane:
FYI: I just found a website that looks promising that talks about methods for tapering off antidepressant and benzos . . . . .

<A HREF="http://www.theroadback.org/" TARGET=_blank>http://www.theroadback.org/</A>

I would definatly try this first. I have been using these products for months and while I don't think I have had any adverse effects, I have not really gotten better. BUT I now realize I was doing it all wrong. AND I tried to taper to fast on 3 meds. I'm going to start the whole program over again.

Liz V.

Post by Guest » Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:16 pm

I am EXTREMELY worried about taking meds.

I watched this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwWHtmNha-o and popped my 20MG of prozac. Hopefully I'll be around tomorrow morning ;)

Post by Guest » Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:45 am

My daughter is taking Prozac. I would like to have her eventually taper off. I will check out the website you referred to earlier. http//www.theroadback.org

Maybe this will help us. Thanks!

Post by Guest » Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:27 am

I hate to take any kind of medicine. But when you have anxiety attacks for years and all the things they put you through you will gladly take medicine. I take Zoloft I had side effects at first but now I am doing better. Just encourage her and love her and be their when she needs you.

Return to “Prescription Medication Discussion”