Heard coming off Lexapro is wicked...

Questions and experiences with prescription medications

Post by Guest » Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:45 am

Just an update at two weeks: Finished the half doses and I was supposed to start taking 1/2 every other day but I'm nervous about side effects. Therefore, I'm going to take 1/4 every day for a week and then go 1/4 every other day for yet another week. It turns out my flu like symptoms were in fact a cold coming on, a nasty one in fact. So far, no real bad repercussions of going off. My anxiety and obsessive thinking has increased but I'm dealing with it pretty well so far. Fortunately I'm on session 10, scary obsessive thoughts. I agree with Lucinda that it is obsessive thinking that causes this condition, and I look forward to overcoming this bad habit.

Post by Guest » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:42 am

Coming off Lexapro is tough. I decided to stop taking Lexapro because I was so drowsy during the day even tho I took it at night. I also experienced some really strange side effects when I was taking it. But now I feel so much better with out the Lexapro my next challenge is to stop taking Xanax does anyone know if there are withdrawls when going of Xanax?

Post by Guest » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:51 am

ABSOLUTELY...Xanax is a benzodiazepene which is very addictive. I found myself very addicted physically and mentally to this after only six weeks. I was needing more and more to get the same effect.

PLEASE don't do this on your own. See your doctor and get them to follow you as you SLOWLY SLOWLY taper off.

For me, it was definitely not fun. But I had thrown them all out at once. I thought I could do it on my own. That was really stupid of me. I quickly learned and got back on and tapered.

See your doctor. It can be done gently but it must be done gradually depending on how long you have used it and what your dosage is.

rutwelder

Post by rutwelder » Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:24 am

Just an update - On day 16 of weening off, day 3 of 1/4 of 10mg tablet and this is really turning into a non event. So far not bad at all. The only effects have been minor brain zaps like forgetting words and sometimes its as if time stops for a second or two. Rarely, I get a little vertigo or feeling fuzzy. The worse part, and it's not that bad, is a return of old anxiety and anger issues. The Lexapro really calmed my aggression. I'm using the program to deal with those issues and it's pretty effective. I know I may not be out of the woods yet, but then maybe my worries about going off this med was just another example of needless worry and anticipatory anxiety. :cool:

Post by Guest » Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:25 am

Day 23 of weaning off Lexapro. Yesterday I officially started taking 1/4 pill every other day. Still, doing good. No real change since my last posting. Am a bit anxious today since I didn't take anything but I think it's anticipatory anxiety about the unknown. The best advice I got from this program has been to 'float' with body sensations. I've had minor side effects going off but I float with them. I experience anxiety, anger, and weird feelings but I float with them. I'm very happy I bought this program, it has helped me tremendously. I'll be officially off Lexapro next Tuesday. :D

Post by Guest » Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:01 am

Tweaky, Congrats on the success!! We are in the midst of the Stress ice storm. No power for almost a week. Not a good thing. We live in the country and have a well to pump water, so we haven`t had water. They are telling us it could be several weeks before our power comes on due to so many power poles that have broken in half. We purchased a generator yesterday so now we can at least shower and have some heat. Through all this I`ve missed reading posts. I went a week on half the med, then stopped all together. Wndered how it would be through this storm, but have to say, I`m doing pretty well. A time or two have had bouts of tears for no reason, but no bad thoughts. Like you, I`m learning to float. Keep up the good work!!! You are awesme!!

Post by Guest » Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:24 am

Hi Mikes Jewell - so sorry to hear about the weather induced problems you're having. I live in Wisconsin so I know a little about winter weather, but what you're going through is unbelievable. We lost power for a week a few years back during the summer and it was horrible. You're awesome since you're handling the situation so well! I'm totally off Lexapro now. I found going every other day worse than just going off. Ironically, I felt great on the off day, and terrible when I took the med! I had bouts of weapiness too, but that subsided when I stopped the med. Who would have thought?! I'm grateful that I took the Lexapro because it helped me really integrate this program. I'm relieved that is was relatively easy to get off when I wanted to get off. No regrets. If anyone who is reading this is contemplating taking Lexapro for debilitating anxiety/depression, take it. It works and it's not a life sentence. When you get relief from your anxiety, and you will, learn coping skills, make better habits, and then go off. You can do it. I did it. Mikes Jewell did it. You can do it too. ;)

Post by Guest » Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:59 am

I'm so glad to hear of your success! I have been on Lexapro for a little over a year and am really doing well on it. I had been on Paxil 2x before Lexapro. I had no problem going off of it. Please update us in 3 to 6 months. I would love to know how you are doing. You give me hope that this might not be forever.

Jacqui

Post by Guest » Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:54 am

Yes, I'll give updates as time goes on. Talk to you soon. Mike's Jewell- Hope things are getting fixed out there. Hang in there.

Curtstl7

Post by Curtstl7 » Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:36 pm

Ive weaned off paxil after 3-4yrs and I felt head rushes - i guess thats similar to brain zaps. Also had issues with concentration. Took about 4 wk, overall not bad.

Return to “Prescription Medication Discussion”