Heard coming off Lexapro is wicked...

Questions and experiences with prescription medications

Post by Guest » Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:55 pm

Cool, thanks!

Post by Guest » Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:17 pm

I have not taken Lexapro but I have been on Paxil for about 4 1/2 years now. My Dr and I attempted to wean me off of them about 2 years ago and I experience the worse anxiety I had ever had. Unfortunately, the huge weight gain (80 or so pounds) and my enthusiasm for the program led me to go to fast. I have been weaning now for about a year. Taking my time and knowing that each level of meds I am working the program, talking to my doctor and facing the practice opportunities. I am down to 10 mg a day! A HUGE deal for me since I had pretty much believed I would be on meds for life. I have no set date on when I have to be off of them and I suggest that you do the same. Take it dose by dose. The brain zaps suck. Mine were most often a loss of balance followed by a brief black out. Almost like someone flashed the light switch. But since I have been taking my time and lower my dose, I have had none! And yeah, I have had some anxiety, but thanks to the program, Lucinda, Carolyn, and the posts on here, I KNOW, I repeat, I KNOW I can and will have a great life without panic and anxiety. I wish you the best of luck. Just remember take your time and believe in yourself!
Laura

Post by Guest » Sat Nov 24, 2007 2:03 am

Hi guys- Isn't this great that we have a place to go with this stuff. These forums have helped me so much! I'm on day 4 of 1/2 tablets and so far I actually feel better. One of my complaints with taking meds is it was taking my highs, as well as lows, away. Therefore I never really felt excited or happy, and I think that is why I tended to eat more, you know, to get pleasure out of something. Anyway, I'm feeling more, eating less, and generally feeling good. I've had what I think are some mini brain zaps, where I just go inexplicably blank for a moment or I forget common easy words, like I forgot the word for ankle this morning. I'm trying to take Lucinda's advice and just float with them, and realize it is part of the process. So far, so good. I've also had some vertigo, not bad, and I'm floating with that too. That's it so far. The moment of reckoning will be 12/19. That's when I should stop taking them altogether. Also, I finally got the guts to weigh myself yesterday. I gained 5 pounds in 1 1/2 months. Not bad you say...well that makes me officially obese in a year and a half. No thanks. I agree with the runner who said it was depressing him: me too and god knows I don't need another problem. Anyway, thankfully I have this program and the good people here to get through this. I'll keep you updated on my progress. Thanks for listening.

Post by Guest » Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:17 pm

tweaky1h: Thanks for the updates. I'm checking your progress and happy to see that you are doing well. I've definately decided that I'm calling my Dr. Monday and going to taper off as well. Started on Lexapro 2 years ago and with all the running and training I have gained 15 lbs. I'm with you. . .7.5 lbs a year will add up to an overweight and depressed woman. Not a good thing. . . Dr. told me back then that I will probably need to up the dosage and I can tell that the 10 mg isn't doing much. The last couple of months I've been experiencing much depression and anxiety. I really don't want to up the dosage.
Thanks,
Judy
Last edited by Mike's Jewel on Sat Nov 24, 2007 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest » Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:11 pm

Called Doc this morning and he said to take half for a while. Actually what has happened is that my schedule has been different with the holiday and I honestly don't think I took any over the weekend. However, I did take half a pill this morning. Not sure what is happening, but today was a great day. Felt good, had confidence. That's very unusual. I wonder that since the last few months seem like the med wasn't doing anything if just stopping would do anything? I've always been quite impatient when I've made my mind up to do something. . . . Any thoughts?
Thanks!!

Post by Guest » Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:20 pm

i have been on paxil for about 2 years; at my new school i go to the clinic, tell my history and lexapro was reacommended- i take it for 2 days....big mistake!
huge increase in tremors and negative thoughts
needless to say i returned to maintenance dose of paxil and im stable on that.

Post by Guest » Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:01 am

Hi Mike's Jewel - I had the feeling that mine wasn't working for the last few weeks before I went off too. I immediately felt better upon halving my dose, however I did have a set back 2 nights ago. I hurt my knee which caused twitching in the area and that's my tweaker, hence my screen name. I started to get anxious, thinking I might have a panic attack and wondered if I should go back to the Lexapro. In the morning, I did some research, though about the stuff I've been learning, and listened to session 9 again. I felt better, realized I can get through this, and am reminding myself to float with these feelings. I am experiencing more anxious feelings here on the 7th day, but I am using the program to help with those feelings and it's working. I had the feeling that I was 'cheating' by taking the Lexapro and doing the program, because my anxiety was held in check by the med, and I knew I was only cheating myself. It's the right thing to go off, feel the anxiety, and get through it to prove to myself that I can. Good luck Mike's Jewel. It's not easy to go off so don't let the body sensations and emotions scare you. Do take it slow though, I know I'm impatient too but the consequences off going off too fast can be severe.

Post by Guest » Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:08 am

Tweaky,
Thanks so much for the input. I hate it that others are going through the same thing I am, but it means so much to learn from you all. The last two days have been great, but it's good to know that there might be a set back. I'm determined not to stress about it, but will use the information to handle it if it happens. You are awesome. Thanks again!!
Judy

Post by Guest » Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:23 am

Thought I'd give an update here on the 8th day. I've been experiencing the flu like symptoms that my doctor said I would. Tired, achey, especially after exercising. It's annoying but not terrible. I've actually felt that for about 4 days, but I thought I might actually be getting sick but now I doubt it. Am going back to old bad habits, like negative thinking and day dreaming as avoidance technique, but I've been able to stop myself. I've been watching the coaching dvd and I feel recharged. This just reinforces that I was cheating by doing the program and taking Lexapro. It seemed all too easy getting through those sessions and now I know it was. I don't regret my decision to go off, if anything I am more determined. I'm feeling more and that's a good thing.

Post by Guest » Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:45 am

Just an update at two weeks: Finished the half doses and I was supposed to start taking 1/2 every other day but I'm nervous about side effects. Therefore, I'm going to take 1/4 every day for a week and then go 1/4 every other day for yet another week. It turns out my flu like symptoms were in fact a cold coming on, a nasty one in fact. So far, no real bad repercussions of going off. My anxiety and obsessive thinking has increased but I'm dealing with it pretty well so far. Fortunately I'm on session 10, scary obsessive thoughts. I agree with Lucinda that it is obsessive thinking that causes this condition, and I look forward to overcoming this bad habit.

Return to “Prescription Medication Discussion”