Heard coming off Lexapro is wicked...

Questions and experiences with prescription medications
tweaky1h

Post by tweaky1h » Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:31 am

I've posted this before but I'm fishing for more feedback on coming off Lexapro. I've had overall good results with Lexapro as far as quieting the anxiety/depression but I've gained some weight, miss the occasional drink, and had a bad reaction with over the counter med interactions. Now I want off but 1: I've read accounts of horrible withdrawal symptoms/experiences and 2: My doctor insists that if I don't stay on it for at least 4 to 6 months I risk relapse. First, does anyone know if that's true? I also read that your withdrawals are less if you've been on it less time, so I don't want to keep taking this if that's the case. I've read many postings on this forum and it seems that people have taken these types of meds for years, came off, and still relapsed. Therefore, I'm kind of doubting that staying on for longer is going to give me long term benefits. Does anyone have any answers or experiences they can share? Thanks.

Post by Guest » Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:03 pm

Lexpro is probably the ONLY drug I've not been on but, I can assure you that .. ANY medication you have been on for a while, can produce wICKED effects if you don't tapper slowly. I stayed on SSRI's for years because everytimeI tried to get off, I'd suffer from "DISCONTINUATION SYNDROME" but had no clue what was going on. Drs would simply say..SEE, you need this..but, what was going on was my brain was relying on it. And..like most drugs, if you don't tapper gradually, you risk this.

It took me 6mos to get off all SSRI's after being on for 20years but, I did it and it's been 2 yrs now.

Tappering makes the side effects minimal. And..PLEASE do not do what I did..seek medical advice and make sure your doctor monitors you each step along the way.

I didn't feel bad for the first 4 weeks. It was after I thought I was in the clear that it hit me. I got back one once i Knew and tappered off gradually. Then, I was fine.

Hot Rod

Post by Hot Rod » Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:09 pm

I started to wean myself off of Lexapro about 5 weeks ago, by halving my 10mg. tabs into 5 mg. The reason I was going to wean off of them is because of the weight gain. After about 2 weeks of this new regiment I started to have what is often referred to as "brain zaps", and some tearfulness. At the 4th week I started to get depressed again and that's when I just started taking the whole 10 mg. I don't know if I was going to fast or if only taking half wasn't enough or not but it was no fun. When I had the brain zaps I naturally went online to see if I could find any information about it and there were tons of people who had gone through the same thing. Also, my emotions were pretty much in tact until my 3rd week of reduction and I now wonder if the only reason I got anxious and depressed is because I was reading all of those horrible withdrawal symptoms and scared myself, I'm not sure. I don't post this to discourage you, I just wanted to let you know my experience.
Focus on what you want, not what you fear...

Post by Guest » Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:42 am

I have not personally been on Lexapro but have taken lots of meds for depression and anxiety. I think it is safe to say there will be withdrawl symptoms from any drug you are trying to get off of... BUT the good news is that you are working this program and it can be a significant help. I weaned off Zoloft recently and had the "brain zaps" like the poster before me. I don't have them any more and feel great... but that is because I have done the work to change my thinking and to do the things this program has taught me.
You will never know until you try. Be sure work with your doc on doing it slowly. You may find you are not ready to go with out the meds... but then again, you might find you can do it!!!
Stacy D

Post by Guest » Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:58 am

Thanks everyone for your input. Talked to my doc. She said take 1/2 for 2 weeks then 1/2 every other day for a week. Depending how I feel, I may draw it out longer if necessary. She said the holidays are a bad time for this but I love the holidays so hopefully that won't be a factor. I'm trying to incorporate positive thinking into this...I know that's the key to going off this stuff and solving this anxiety problem in the first place. No matter how bad it gets, there's an end point, and I can get on with the rest of my life. Today I took 1/2. I may start a daily journal on here and give updates so others who come behind me will have something to go off of. Right now all my info seems scary.

Post by Guest » Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:40 pm

I'm very interested in how you do going off Lexapro. I've been on it for two years. After reading these posts, and how others have talked about gaining weight, I believe that is what is happening with me. I'm a runner and continue to train, but the weight is creeping up and up. This makes me more depressed. If it's the Lexapro causing the weight gain, I don't want it. Please let me know how you do. I'm going to call my Dr. Monday about tapering off. Just signed on to the program this evening and am excited about starting the program.

Post by Guest » Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:03 pm

What are "brain zaps"?

Post by Guest » Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:11 pm

Brain Zaps are basically exactly what they sound like...pretty much happens when you come off a med to quickly or cold turkey. I had them when I took myself off of effexor cold turkey...bad mistake i felt horrible. I am currently on lexapro have been for about 8 months, for me it's wonderful, but all meds are different for everyone. Just please consult your doc before taking yourself off of these meds. TC Karen

Post by Guest » Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:41 pm

Sorry to bother just curious, do they hurt? Does your brain feel like a jolt or zap? I am so scared to take meds!

Post by Guest » Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:34 pm

Mike's Jewel... Welcome to the program! I know you will find it helpful!
Chrit...Brain zaps feel just like they sound. It feels to me like a "zap" and then it's over. It doesn't hurt, but it is a little annoying. I was afraid of meds too, but I wouldn't let the fear of brain zaps keep you from trying them if you need it. I would do it again if I had to because it helped me through a rough time, and now I am off the meds!
Stacy D

Return to “Prescription Medication Discussion”