anti-anxiety meds

Questions and experiences with prescription medications
maxygolf

Post by maxygolf » Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:37 am

I think my post disappeared.
I want to know if anti-anxiety meds would help and if I should talk to my doctor about using them.
I have generalized anxiety and ADD and can't sit still to listen to the tapes or relaxation tape or do the homework. I have a coach because I knew I'd have this problem.
I have to pace if I talk on the phone.
I flunked out of school because I couldn't sit and read the textbooks. (I got back in)
Anti-depressants don't help, neither does valium and certain sedatives make me climb the walls.
My self esteem is bad because I tell myself I'm laze not to work on the program or exercise but I have agoraphobia and going outdoors is like pulling teeth.
Has anyone been this way and does anti-anxiety medication help this?

Firebug

Post by Firebug » Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:33 pm

Maxygolf, if you can find some good meds that react well with your system (wich might take significant effort), they should calm you down enough to "get through the day" and steady your focus. Dont go the pot or booze routs like I did, its a bugger to fight those habits when you start really getting better. Its much easier to have a doctor slowly ween you off a pill.

jaysonwv

Post by jaysonwv » Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:30 pm

i have agoraphobia and A.D.D. i function well when i'm not having anxiety/panic attacks. it comes and goes. i never took meds before and battled this by myself and with the Combatting Stress and Depression Program program. but this time my agoraphobia was really bad, i'm getting out now but am very nervous. i take clonazepam/klonopin. it will help you out alot with the panic and agoraphobia and slow you down just a little on the A.D.D. maybe enuff for you to do this program.
hope, always hope!!!

MINISTOCK7

Post by MINISTOCK7 » Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:29 pm

i took a lexapro 10 pill about three hours ago and now im awake feeling very weird with crazy thoughts going in and out of my head,feeling super anxios and very amped up please help

MINISTOCK7

Post by MINISTOCK7 » Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:39 pm

im having symptoms right now that are as fallows ,my tonge feels weird,shaky all over,pain in my lower back,super high awareness any of this sound familiar to any one taking there first lexapro,is this from the meds or is it me doing this to my self

Belinda333

Post by Belinda333 » Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:40 pm

Mini,
Is this the first time you have taken this?

MINISTOCK7

Post by MINISTOCK7 » Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:26 pm

a few years ago i took lexapro and i was fine.ive had a relaps of anxiety now and last night was the first time i took it.to add a few months ago i tryed to take the same pill and i woke up in an panic as well not as bad as this one though.

hayley

Post by hayley » Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:28 am

HELLO,

I AM TAKEN LEXAPRO 20MG NOW. I HAD THE SAME PROBLEMS. SO NOW I PANIC WHEN I HAVE TO TAKE IT I HAVE BEEN ON IT 4 WEEKS TODAY. EVERYONE HAS SAID HOW AWSOME IT IS, BUT I FEEL IT IS NOT FOR ME I HAVE NOT SEEN ANY RESULTS FROM IT. I SEE MY DOCTOR ON TUES. AND HOPE TO CHANGE IT. ALSO I AM NEW TO THIS CAN ANYONE TELL ME IF THEY EXPERIENCE PANIC ATTACKS ALL DAY LONG ONE AFTER THE OTHER. I WAS JUST TOLD A WEEK AGO I HAVE PANIC DISORDER I CAN STILL HAVE PANIC ATTACKS ON XANAX. PLEASE IF ANYONE CAN HELP THAT WOULD BE AWSOME.
THANKS HAYLEY
hayley morlen

Don 56

Post by Don 56 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:17 am

A new study has been released that proves "sustained physical exercise" works as good or better than anti-anxiety/depression drugs. Even if you have a hard time accepting this, try it anyway.
If you're not in shape you may have to build up slowly but most everyone should be doing aerobic exercising for 2 hours a day.
Yes that sounds like a lot but you need to "exhaust" all that nervous energy to calm you mind. The extra exercise will increase serotonin in your brain naturally, without medication. You will feel more calm and relaxed.

I actually used vigorous exercise to calm my nerves years ago when I went through a very painful divorce, changed jobs and moved out of state all at the same time! I moved to a new location where I didn’t know anyone. So I decided to devote my time and energy to getting back in shape again. I started jogging, dieting (no sugar) and working out with weights. When I first started jogging (again) I could barely go 1/8 mile without getting winded. But I faithfully kept after it, walking & jogging daily until ( within a few months) I was running up to 4 miles at a time. I also worked with weights every other day for up to 90 minutes. Yes, it took up most all of my free time but it was more than worth it!
Even with all the exhausting exercise I was still aware of my divorce and my new situation but after I completed all my workouts and took a hot shower, I was just too deeply relaxed to worry about anything. I slept like a baby!
Exercise has some big advantages:
1. You can do it right away (now) and start getting the benefits from it today.
2. You can have fun with it by choosing things you ‘like’ doing, swimming, jogging, tennis, bicycling or even walking, whatever appeals to you personally.
3. It helps you loose weight, get healthier, and feel better about yourself.
4. Plus you start looking better too!
Don 56

Karin Moberg

Post by Karin Moberg » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:00 am

Please take a look at <A HREF="http://www.pointofreturn.com" TARGET=_blank>www.pointofreturn.com</A>
I wish someone had told me about that site before I got hooked on Ativan for anxiety,,,took .5mg twice a day for 2 months after a trip to the ER after anxiety and depression had driven me nuts...hadn't slept for over 2 months,,,only occasionally 1/2 hour to 1 hour a nite!...
Anyhow, Ativan helped a little at first but when you try to get off of it?...It is worse than the anxiety..
I'm not a doctor and I can't tell you what to do but if I were you I wouldn't start...it just isn't worth it...keep with the program..I just started,,I am still trying to get off Ativan and have to use the website above to get all kinds of supplements to ease the withdrawal...I have been going through hell with bad headaches, spacey/dizzy, blurred vision, stomach/instinal problems galore, sensitivity to light and sound, flu-like chills/sweats...and much much more...you can write me at katinkamoberg@yahoo.com if you like..
Hang in,,,I will too..somehow..you are not alone...
Karin
Riverside, CT

Originally posted by maxygolf:
I think my post disappeared.
I want to know if anti-anxiety meds would help and if I should talk to my doctor about using them.
I have generalized anxiety and ADD and can't sit still to listen to the tapes or relaxation tape or do the homework. I have a coach because I knew I'd have this problem.
I have to pace if I talk on the phone.
I flunked out of school because I couldn't sit and read the textbooks. (I got back in)
Anti-depressants don't help, neither does valium and certain sedatives make me climb the walls.
My self esteem is bad because I tell myself I'm laze not to work on the program or exercise but I have agoraphobia and going outdoors is like pulling teeth.
Has anyone been this way and does anti-anxiety medication help this?

Return to “Prescription Medication Discussion”