"You'll always have to take meds."

Questions and experiences with prescription medications
lilchrissy

Post by lilchrissy » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:05 pm

great points all :)
I had to develop more self discipline in order to get the skills embedded in my brain. Now I wake up and spend a few minutes countering my thoughts in my TEA forms at the breakfast table and it's no sweat but initially it was tough to get the new habit started and stay with it when I was feeling great. A true catch-22!

Hunter75

Post by Hunter75 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:48 pm

I've been on and off lexapro and effexor for 4 years. Its been a few years since I've taken any meds. I hated getting of effexor not to mention neither drugs really made me feel alot better and the side effects sucked. this is the second time around with this program. I just can't kick this constant heaviness that I carry with me. Thinking about try an new antidepressant again. Just so tired of beating myself up that my confidence is so low from this disorder.Can you truley feel better without drugs even thou depression can be bio chemical and hereditary?

YvetteNicole

Post by YvetteNicole » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:19 pm

Hi am brand new to this program. I have been dealing with agoraphobia since i was 18 i am now 33. Been taking imipramine for 11 years and celexa with it for about 7 years. I threw the years wheaned myself down but never stopped taking my medicine. I have been doing GREAT for the last 8 years no symptoms no attacks and then out of the blue 3 weeks ago i freaked out in my car while on freeway and had to pull over and now i cant even drive again im too scared. Im so terrified that this is gonna ruin my life again. Does anyone have any advice on the medicines i take? Thank you.

lilchrissy

Post by lilchrissy » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:22 pm

Hunter75,
I believe my whole body chemistry changed when I learned to use the TEA forms and change the way I think and react. My body lived off adrenline before then and now I feel great and have been med free for years.

hubcaps07

Post by hubcaps07 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:01 am

New to the program. What are the TEA forms?

lilchrissy

Post by lilchrissy » Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:26 pm

Sorry for the confusion hubcaps... TEA forms are not directly part of Lucinda's program but from the CBT book by Sam Obitz www.tao3.com Lucinda's program is based on CBT principles.

Cory2k

Post by Cory2k » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:24 pm

I would like to come off meds but because of my doctor telling me I might be on them forever I also feel discouraged. Your not alone. I am trying a naturopath now and she is giving me great hope to go the natural route and come off meds permanently. We'll see.

amunoz77

Post by amunoz77 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:59 am

I have been on Cymbalta 30mg's for 2 weeks and hate that it makes me feel spaced out and numb to all emotions. I want to get off of them and deal with my anxiety head on, but I'm a little scared to. I've only been dealing with anxiety for 3 months but it feels like years. What should I do?

MedicineWoman30

Post by MedicineWoman30 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:02 pm

I think the decision to take meds is a very personal one between patient and doctor/therapist. We really are prisoners of our own thinking. When we tell ourselves we may never come off of the meds our self-talk (as Lucinda describes it) becomes negative with no real chance of hope. We are setting ourselves up to fail if we keep walking out of the therapist's office with a prescription. So one thing I have done that is a positive is changed my self talk from "meds all my life" to "meds today." I find taking my life one day at a time right now only asks me to have a 24 hour window of expectation and that's all I can do right now. The course is making it better each day though. After all we're not guaranteed tomorrow so why waste today worrying over what may or may not happen. I have changed my self-talk from "wow, I',m having to be medicated all my life" to "just for today I will take my 4 p.m. meds." Tomorrow will be here soon enough and I will deal with it then.

Hope this helps.
Warmly ~
Mary

Freedom66

Post by Freedom66 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:17 am

Hi, I battled this problem very badly about 15 years ago, and I never went on medication of any type. I was always afraid if I went on them, I would never be able to get off. Its very tempting to use medication during the "bad days" or even "bad weeks". I just kept using the skills to calm myself down, and eventually, the more I was able to make myself feel better and see that the anxiety does pass, that I did not need them. Each person is different though and you need to make decisions that are best for you. However, it is possible to deal and conquer this issue without using them. Remember, psychiatrists make their living off of prescribing medication, so of course, many of them will tell you you HAVE to use them. But if you need to take them, then do so. Its nothing to be ashamed of. THe problem with the meds, I think, is that you tell yourself you need them and at the first sign of anxiety you can panic and go right back on them without riding out the symptoms and growing in other areas. This process takes a very long time though, and if you feel you can't function or are in danger of hurting yourself, then by all means, you should consider them. Its nice to know they are there if you want them.

Return to “Prescription Medication Discussion”