"You'll always have to take meds."

Questions and experiences with prescription medications
lilchrissy

Post by lilchrissy » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:04 am

JaneB did you successfully taper off of everything and if so how are you feeling?

myfutureawaits

Post by myfutureawaits » Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:39 am

missgsr,

I have been on antidepressants on and off for over seven years. Although, I accept that I am dependent upon them, I do accept the reality of the benefits.

In any event, I would advise you to slow down. I understand your excitement but with your dad being ill you very well may need all of the help you can get. You have a serious issue in front of you. Please don't jump out the pan and into the fire, so to sepak. Let's work on handling your cuurent issue with your dad. Let's let all other things remain the same for now.

I think you may be taking on too much at once (guilty myself).

I have not yet started the program. It's coming this week. But, boy, do I look forward to it.

Breathe and deal with one issue at a time.

lilchrissy

Post by lilchrissy » Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:30 pm

When we try to tackle too many things at once we are doomed to failure. Great advice.

carnation

Post by carnation » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:44 am

Hi Cornflower, I am taking two meds right now..I am so scared..because I am suffering from obsessive thoughts..I just can't stop thinking about them...now I not only cannot seem to stop put them away I worry about that I might actually do it. I worry so much I make myself sick. Once in a while I feel like I kinda did what I thought/i knew were scary thoughts..and I start crying because I know I would never do them to anyone! I have so many worries and I try writing them down and replacing them with truthful, realistic thoughts. It works while I am at it..but once I am away from the paper, I worry all over again. and I try to mentally replace those thoughts..I 'm like getting another worry while I am trying to replace the first one... and I think How am I ever going to get over this???!! Any suggestions? I know there has to be a way out of this cycle. Trying to untangle myself from my thoughts is working a little bit.

lilchrissy

Post by lilchrissy » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:22 am

Carnation I think you are on the right track you just have to be diligent because it is a process and takes time to replace the old thoughts. In my experience it has been worth all the struggle and I hope you achieve similar results :)

lilchrissy

Post by lilchrissy » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:04 pm

Just wanted to check back and see how you are doing Carnation? I hope you are building on your early successes as small as they may seem they are the first steps to winning the battle:)

Keeping the Faith

Post by Keeping the Faith » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:38 pm

I too was told by a bad doctor that I didn't need to taper because of the dose. HA! I knew better and tapered SLOWLY; took me 6 months, and I still had side effects (brain zaps). And I did it at the wrong time. I thought everything was great and no panic attacks in awhile, but what I ignored was that I didn't have any reasons to "test" that system. Once I was off and something happened, I couldn't cope and immediately tapered back on.

So I DO believe we ALL have a GREAT chance of being med free, but we have to educate and take care of ourselves, because sometimes we know more than our doctors and we certainly know our own bodies! We need to fill in the gaps of missing information. I figured for me, if it takes 2 years and going to therapy every week during those two years, it's worth it in the long run to be the person I want to be for me and my family!

missgsr

Post by missgsr » Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:38 am

Originally posted by Keeping the Faith:
Once I was off and something happened, I couldn't cope and immediately tapered back on.
This is exactly what I'm worried about. When I'm not having anxiety, I never feel the need to practice my skills so when I do have anxiety, I completely forget how to cope.
"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes.
You can steer yourself any direction you choose." -Dr. Seuss

Keeping the Faith

Post by Keeping the Faith » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:36 pm

Originally posted by missgsr:
Originally posted by Keeping the Faith:
Once I was off and something happened, I couldn't cope and immediately tapered back on.
This is exactly what I'm worried about. When I'm not having anxiety, I never feel the need to practice my skills so when I do have anxiety, I completely forget how to cope.
I totally can relate. It's like a Catch 22....how can you "practice" if there isn't anything to practice on? But I'm going to give it the benefit of the doubt and while I can't afford this program, I'm using my insurance to start counseling and work on things for "real" this time and try to not be so blinded by "oh, it's all good and I can handle it" because no, I can't! I'm kind of glad I hit my personal "bottom" the other day and am actually excited to work on myself. If I have to be on meds all the time, I can accept that....but I refuse to go down without a fight!

mmwillie928

Post by mmwillie928 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:20 pm

dont beat yourself up if you have to return to the program for help. life is about 1 step forward and 1 step back. and we have the tools from the program to help us when we need it. so when you arent feeling well again, turn to your help.
i am there with you guys on the medication. i have been on zoloft 4 years now. i would like to get off of it cause it has completely taken away my sex drive. that part frustrates me, but otherwise i am happy with the results of the meds. i am hoping that after a while of having the program in my life, i will be able to get off the zoloft. but for now i am happy it is here to help.

Return to “Prescription Medication Discussion”