"You'll always have to take meds."

Questions and experiences with prescription medications
HeatherRDJ

Post by HeatherRDJ » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:04 am

I asked my psychiatrist if I'll have to be on meds or have anxiety forever if I don't take meds and he recommended a workbook and mind/body tool kit. This is what he tells people to order if they don't want to be on meds at all. Of course you have to really devote yourself to following those two things. I ordered them, haven't started them yet. This program didn't work for me cause of two reasons....I'll admit that I didn't put the effort into it I should have and I found the cds very, very annoying to listen to more than once. I quit after scary, obsessive thoughts where Lucinda tells the same story 4 times. I can't believe it took me almost a year of payments for this. I do have a friend that swears by this program and thus why I got it.

sdcrockern

Post by sdcrockern » Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:35 am

HeatherRDJ--

I had this program laying in my room collecting dust for over a year. I have been struggling with depression all of my life, but I decided it was time to make a change. I would say to you to try it again. I havent finished the whole program yet, but I definitely feel a difference. You have to make up in your mind that that you want better for yourself. I recently lost my job. I am a single mom with 2 kids. I have been on and off medications for years. I find that each time I get off the meds (without proper tapering) My depression gets worse. I am currently looking for natural supplements to help me. 1 because I no longer have insurance and 2 because I would like to find a more natural alternative for my well being.

mhw61

Post by mhw61 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:59 am

I feel trapped in the cycle of meds. Six years ago I had serious sleeping problems and tried several non-narcotic prescriptions which did no good. I started taking Xanax and when that didn't work and in October I started taking Ambien CR with the Xanax. This worked really well until probably the first of January. Since January 12 I've been dealing with tinnitus (ringing in the ears) which has increased my anxiety level to almost unamanageable levels. I've been to my doctor and I've tried Zoloft while still on the other two meds. Zoloft did not agree with me and now the doctor prescribed Seroquel. That one gave me bad side effects too. The doctor said I'd just have to "deal with" the tinnitus and take the antidepressant and then level off of the others. So far no luck with being able to take anti-depressants and I'm very frustrated and frightened of adding another drug. I would have trouble switching doctors as I have military insurance and the providers are very limited and I don't have any recommendations for other doctors in the Tri-Care plan. I'm supposed to see the doctor in a week for follow-up on the Seroquel which I stopped taking. I'm operating on 3-4 hours sleep a night and not functioning too well. The anxiety is mounting. I started Lucinda's program on Tuesday and just finished Session 1 and am trying very hard to retrain my thinking and my behavior. The breathing helps but I'm on this constant state of alert and can't relax, and unable to concentrate. Help!

lilchrissy

Post by lilchrissy » Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:45 pm

Everyone is different but fwiw, I was told the same thing and I have been med free for over two years now and I'm feeling great. My CBT group changed my life and I am continuing to feel better and better. I have not had any panic attacks since the beginning of my group (and I was still on meds then).

Stacy d

Post by Stacy d » Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:09 am

i know how you feel. and there is always that quetion inmy mind do i really have a chemical problem in my brain that makes me this way? effxor is really good and i have beenhappy on it but comming off is very very difficult im trying right now. imighr end up going back on and then going to something les strong like prozac and then trying . i dont know though i havnt had insurance so i kinda did this all on my own cause i dont trust doctors they dont understand how we feel on these meds. you can come off some day i know people who have done it the question always is when will i be ready. i dont even know if i am. my sister gets frustrated with me and tells me to just stick with it but i feel like im gonna go crazy!

lilchrissy

Post by lilchrissy » Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:43 pm

i dont trust doctors they dont understand how we feel on these meds.
I agree completely!

JaneBurgess

Post by JaneBurgess » Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:34 pm

I was told the same thing. Then I stopped all SSRI's and I am weening off of Xanax. I am tired of feeling like a zombie. I would rather be sober and afraid.

Svetlani

Post by Svetlani » Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:17 pm

Originally posted by missgsr:
3. Switch to Effexor. Face the possibility that it won't work as well. What concerned me is that the doc said Effexor is harder to get off of than Celexa. It could work better though and with no side effects.
change ends up being.
Effexor is not "harder" to get off of, you just need to taper over a longer time. Otherwise you might get dizzy feelings or vertigo. Nothing that's life-threatening, but can be unpleasant. Effexor has a short half life compared to some other meds, that's why a longer taper is necessary. (I'm an RN.)

Effexor, being a SNRI (serotonin AND norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor), usually works better and with fewer side effects than the SSRIs. But every individual is different.

Best of luck!

Svetlani

Post by Svetlani » Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:24 pm

Originally posted by cosmicpixie:
It seemed a little strange to me that she would prescribe Lexapro for my anxiety since I wasn't depressed!
Anti-depressants usually work very well on anxiety, too, and most of them have a FDA indication for use in anxiety. Somehow the category name stayed "anti-depressant." Sorta similar to aspirin, in the category of "pain relievers" and then we found it lowered temps, and worked as a blood thinner too. Anyhow, I hope things go well for you.

Leopolda

Post by Leopolda » Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:59 am

I would not taper off the meds right now. You are going through a lot with your father and you are doubted yourself. Take the meds, you are not weak because you do. Meds are here to help us during our difficult times. It's ok to take the meds, do not make yourself sick over this. Stick with the program though and once you complete the program, then see how you feel about tapering off the meds. Good luck and God bless you and your family during this time.
Leopolda
Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless.....Mother Theresa

Return to “Prescription Medication Discussion”