"You'll always have to take meds."

Questions and experiences with prescription medications
missgsr

Post by missgsr » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:28 am

I went to my first appointment with a psychiatrist today and this is what he told me. I went there thinking he could give me some advice and encouragement to taper off my meds all together and he told me I'd probably have to always take meds for my anxiety...that I'd never be able to stop taking them.

I don't know what I expected from someone who makes his money prescribing meds. I'm just a little discouraged. I don't want to be on meds forever...
"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes.
You can steer yourself any direction you choose." -Dr. Seuss

JTB7

Post by JTB7 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:48 am

missgsr,
I can relate to the feeling of not wanting to be on meds forever. My hope and hope for you is that this program will help me get to a place where I am med free. I have taken antidepressants on and off for the last 7 years. Tried many and although have gotten 'some' help, not really enough to offset side effects. It may be true for some people that they need to stay on meds indefinitely but for myself hope and pray that is not the case. Anyone out there have success stories of having been on medication (for anxiety or depression) and gotten off them and felt good?

sandy m

Post by sandy m » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:52 am

Yes I was on meds for 3 years then went off after I found out they cause liver damage, I have been off for 4 years and doing really well, untill the last 6 months.

missgsr

Post by missgsr » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:01 am

Originally posted by sandy m:
Yes I was on meds for 3 years then went off after I found out they cause liver damage, I have been off for 4 years and doing really well, untill the last 6 months.
What has been different about the last 6 months? Do you think you'll start taking them again?

LisaLisa

Post by LisaLisa » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:34 am

missgsr: I am on meds for anxiety and have been for several years. I started therapy about a year ago and my therapist recommended this program. I am doing great. I told my doctor that I wanted to be off meds and he said I would be tapered off, but he would like me to wait until I am very comfortable with the program and my anxiety issues. I was pretty frustrated, but my therapist told me she tended to agree with him, but we would make this a goal in my counseling.
Good luck
LisaLisa

missgsr

Post by missgsr » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:56 am

Originally posted by LisaLisa:
missgsr: I am on meds for anxiety and have been for several years.
Me too. In fact, it will be a full 7 years next month.

I was just disappointed that my doctor pretty much said that tapering off wasn't an option. I was like, "Whaaaat?!"

missgsr

Post by missgsr » Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:07 pm

Okay, so here's my thought process. My options are:

1. Taper off meds slowly. I wonder if I'm ready though. I haven't finished the program and I feel like my meds are helping me cope with my Dad's cancer. I'm afraid to be off meds when he starts deteriorating and dies. I feel like if I wasn't on meds right now, I'd be a mess.

2. Stay at current dosage of Celexa. It's working for my anxiety but the side effects suck. It is SO hard for me to motivate and my energy levels are always low.

3. Switch to Effexor. Face the possibility that it won't work as well. What concerned me is that the doc said Effexor is harder to get off of than Celexa. It could work better though and with no side effects.

Ug. I've been so comfortable in my Celexa routine for so long. I'm terrified of the change...whatever the change ends up being.

Don57

Post by Don57 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:54 pm

I went to my first appointment with a psychiatrist today and this is what he told me. I went there thinking he could give me some advice and encouragement to taper off my meds all together and he told me I'd probably have to always take meds for my anxiety...that I'd never be able to stop taking them.

I don't know what I expected from someone who makes his money prescribing meds. I'm just a little discouraged. I don't want to be on meds forever...
I haven't read any of the posts except the one above. No. 1, doctors are not God, they don't know how long you'll have to take meds, so, don't give away your power to someone who doesn't know, no matter how much training and experience he has.

No. 2, keep the decision making process in your hands, not the docs. Listen to what he says, but YOU make the final decision, not him. Don't become overly dependent upon the doc.

No. 3, I was on anxiety meds for 27 years and just assumed I'd be on them for life. I went off of them 5 years ago and am doing great in that department still. I'm currently on zero to 3mg a day of an anti-depressant, down 99% from where I was at 5 years ago and may be off of them totally at this point. The next week or two will tell. I was on anti-depressants for 32 years and classified as bi-polar. I may be, but I'm beginning to think the docs were wrong. They aren't God, they do make mistakes.

I would say in regards to anxiety that what the doc says is totally bogus. Depression is another matter. From someone who is off the anxiety meds, hopefully for good.

No.4, I would run, not walk from this doctor. He doesn't have your best interests at heart, in my opinion.
Life's battles don't always go to the stronger, the smarter, the faster hand; But sooner or later the person who wins is the one who thinks "I can." Author Unknown

http://dp19032k9.webs.com

theresa2008

Post by theresa2008 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:12 pm

I am so sorry that your psychiatrist told you that. I would consider switching psychiatrists. Ultimately, it is your life and your choice. I never thought I would be able to get off meds, and I am still a bit shocked to realize that it has been almost three months since I've weaned off Celexa.

Maybe if you don't want to switch to Effexor (I've also heard it's really hard to wean off of) you could switch to Lexapro or Wellbutrin (or another similar drug)? I also had low energy levels on Celexa.

If you don't feel comfortable weaning off right now from your medication because of your dad then don't. It's not a now or never thing and it's okay to not be ready this moment.

I wish you luck whatever you decide.

ellenp

Post by ellenp » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:40 pm

I feel the same way on meds. My doctor keeps giving me different meds every time I tell her that the ones shes giving me doesn't work.I think these doctors get a percentage for each medicine they perscribe. Who knows? She just game me serequel I took it for a week and then went off it. I didn't like the way I felt. Anybody have any advice.

Return to “Prescription Medication Discussion”