Feeling better

Questions and experiences with prescription medications
Hope7

Post by Hope7 » Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:56 pm

Feeling better because of meds. Thank you!!
Last edited by Hope7 on Thu May 07, 2009 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest » Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:04 pm

Hi Cindy, ativan is an anti-anxiety medication that helps to calm you down during panic episodes. It's either prescribed to take every day regularly or as needed when you feel particularly anxious.

It was the drug that actually "clicked" with me..I had tried Xanax before and Ativan was the one that really worked well. It all depends on the individual :)

Carolyn Dickman

Post by Carolyn Dickman » Sat Jul 08, 2006 5:01 am

I too have Ativan. I use it as needed. It slows down the nervous system. The panic will subside and you feel at ease for a while. For me, it's the best choice. I like the fact that it is out of my body after a short period. I have a med phobia, so this med is ideal. Hope this helps.

Christine

Post by Guest » Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:39 am

Ativan is a benzo, its great for panic attacks. But should be taken on the short term. Till you get the panic attacks under control. There are longer acting medicines for anxiety. take care:)Nelly

Post by Guest » Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:04 pm

Originally posted by Hope7:
I'm just curious to know what type of medication ativan is and what does it do? Thanks!
Hello I am new to this but I would really like to insert my opinion on the Ativan. I have had GAD for 16 years and for a while I was on Paxil cr (four years) I have an aversion to taking meds as Im afraid of it. I was finally convinced to take my Ativan and was pleasantly surprised. It did just what they said, it took the edge off. I am a med phobe so it took a week of being axious to give in and take it. I thought I was never going to get a grip again but tanx to some supportive people and my mom I took it. I only have .05 mg dosage and I took half of it today and worked through a panic attack well.I will take the whole 5 next time but just dont eat them like candy and you will be fine. I am told to take as needed.Every 6-8 hours. I took one at 4pm Monday and mellowed nicely and was going to take another at 11pm or so and I fell asleep !! LOL So it really is on a need by need basis. I hate meds but this one seems to fit me well. Good luck and God Bless.

Return to “Prescription Medication Discussion”