Switching meds due to weight gain

Questions and experiences with prescription medications
Holly J

Post by Holly J » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:26 pm

Hello everyone. I have been on Pristiq for 1 yeah and gained 40 pounds on this! I know I need to switch so I can lose weight. I am thinking about Cymbalta or Welbutrin. I am allergic to Lexapro/celexa. The Pristiq really helped me so much and I would not switch if it was not for the weight gain. )-: Is anyone on welbutrin or cymbalta and like it?
"Come to me, all who are tired from carrying heavy loads, and I will give you rest. (Matthew 11:28)"

Post by Guest » Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:37 am

Good morning, Holly:
So nice to hear from you again. I am indeed glad that you have felt better this past year.
But I sure do understand about the weight gain.

My daughter gained more than 40 lbs. while taking zoloft. It was hard for her to lose that weight even after she stopped zoloft. She was taking it for more than a year , however.

She has lost over 40 of those lbs. doing weight watchers. But it has taken her a year to do so.

I just pray that you do get a right medication that won't do that to you. I understand how hard that is.

You've come such a long way and been so diligent about doing everything you can for yourself. I admire you.

Wishing you a very Merry Christmas!!!
With love,
MJ

Holly J

Post by Holly J » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:00 pm

Thank you so much. Yes I have gained about 40 pounds too )-: and i am sure that it will take a yr to get off too. )-:was she able to keep the weight off since getting off zoloft?
"Come to me, all who are tired from carrying heavy loads, and I will give you rest. (Matthew 11:28)"

karieviola

Post by karieviola » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:16 am

AT first taking Cymbalta I lost weight. Now it just makes me extremely hungry and I have had to buy bigger pants. I also have horrid memory loss (I am only 30 years old) from taking it. Don't take it!

skinny

Post by skinny » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:01 am

I just got back into reading these blogs. You sound exactly like what I am now going through. 40 plus punds in less than two years. I have not changed because it has worked so well. Until recently. I plan to go to the DR as soon as I can and make a change. Another change ... scary!

What did you change to? Has it been working? What about the weight?

I know medication does not make you fat, giving into the hunger does, but it does not help having something make you hungry. I too tries WW, but hard to stick to when you are depressed and hugry. Cop out, but that is what I feel.

Paisleegreen

Post by Paisleegreen » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:47 am

I went off of Cymbalta while I stayed on Wellbutrin. I did lose weight, eventually I went off of Wellbutrin along with a shortterm use of Xanax to calm the "rubbery legs" feeling. I felt great being off of both meds. My memory was sharp and I lost more weight. Even went on a road trip, just to come back and experience my first panic attack.
Now I'm on Remeron, don't like it very well. It does increase your appetite at night while it makes you sleepy. A Dr told me that is has melatonin in it.

I've kept weight from returning by walking around my neighborhood and eating protein meals. Such as tuna on toast, eggs with toast, etc. I stay off of sugar as much as possible.
But I'm noticing that I'm having memory problems as well. Don't know if it my age or what, because I was fine before I was put on Remeron 4 months ago, and my dosage gradually increased to 37.5 mg.

I now have to be careful, now that the weather in turning and the increase in Remeron seems to make me more tired or less incline to get out and move. But then I guess it is curing the jittery nervous feelings a bit.

I'm also finding that I can't do the gardening that I love to do as much due to muscles and joints hurt more. So I'll just have to figure out a way around it. I have already had two carpal tunnel syndrome surgeries. They are brought on by stress, over doing something and I think stress causes one to have energy to overdo something. Not totally sure since, my memory isn't as good right now! LOL

wantrelief

Post by wantrelief » Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:00 pm

What bugs me about SSRI's is that they are known in the medical profession to put on weight. It bothered me for a long time when I was on Paxil that NO ONE, not even the psychitrist would tell me. MY GYN did and I went off it and lost 10 pounds the first week, all water weight gain there. Then lost another 10, it killed my metabolism and for that I wouldn't ever do it again. I went from feeling so good about my appearance to being depressed for the first time. I wish they could find something that doesn't put on weight for most people. Some lose, but that's a real minority who lose weight on this stuff. Wellbutrin gave me weird feelings in my head, not fun either.

skinny

Post by skinny » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:29 am

Paisleegreen
Paisleegreen
Try Magnesium for joint pain. Dr Ozz recommends. I think it really helps with joint pain

Paisleegreen

Post by Paisleegreen » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:58 am

Skinny, thanks for advice. I started to take my vitamins that I stayed away from after my first Panic Attack because my "gut" system was in turmoil. I've been on Remeron and things are calmer, but the weight I lost due to being off of meds and more active in the summer has returned some.

So I hope to keep it off by being sure to eat more protein and walking 3 miles a day or close to it. I will have to be stronger to make myself get to the health club to use their tread mill and pool. I'm afraid to try the weights again due to my hands and just my body hurts more than it use to due to age, I guess.

skinny

Post by skinny » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:13 am

Has anyone mentioned Fibromyalgia?

Return to “Prescription Medication Discussion”