beta blocker? r they good?

Questions and experiences with prescription medications

Post by Guest » Sat May 02, 2009 11:27 am

I would love to be med free, but I have had this enough times throughout the past 21 years to know that being off the medications is not my goal. My goal is to function normally, which means getting out of bed, going to work, leaving the house. Is anyone else on more than one medication? I feel like a walking drug store. :(
I've been dealing with this over 20 years too. I took meds for awhile early on but haven't taken anything regularly for several years. But, I'm realizing that I'm not enjoying my life as much as I'd like. . . and I need to get over my fear of meds and let the doctors help me.I still go to counseling and work on my issues. . . but my body is just wired in a way that the anxiety is always there and it doesn't take much to set me off.

Post by Guest » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:33 pm

My personal experience with Beta blockers was terrible. I felt terrible for about two weeks, so bad I thought I literally was dying. I had zero energy and could barely get out of bed. It was one of the worst experiences of my life. This is my personal experience. Th dr stopped it slowly within about a month and replaced it with a calcium blocker for fast heart problems. I'm off all that now.

Post by Guest » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:51 pm

I'm on Metoprolol - 12.5mg a day, divided in two (I only need baby dosages of most meds). It helps block adrenalin and anxiety, and it has been tremendously beneficial for me. I'm able to do things that I couldn't before due to anxiety, and I hope the experiences I have now with being anxiety-free in many situations will stick.

Post by Guest » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:42 am

I'm on toprol (50mg), it has helped a lot.

FoxG

Post by FoxG » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:46 am

I've been on beta blockers for about a month and a half first started on 50 mgs atenolol 3 times a day to block the adrenaline then went to two times a day then my dr put me on 25 mg of it twice a day it does seem to help.
FoxG

Post by Guest » Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:37 am

i've been following the posts on beta blockers. i've been taking a very lose dose of inderal (propananol - spelling?) for years. i take a 10 ml inderal in the morning when i get up along with 20 ml of lexapro and 5 ml of valium. it's my morning "****tail" and it works beautifully for me. i can NOT stress that enough. it works. and because this medication works FOR ME, i am able to drive myself to work - stay there LOL - drive myself home - and have a "normal" life. normal is however YOU define it LOL x forever

was i scared simple in the beginning of taking the beta blocker? you bet your boots! i have a problem with taking any NEW medication. has it been worth it? i can't say YES strongly enough.

i truly believe i am genetically disposed to my anxiety/depression disorder. that being stated - it is what it is. i don't begrudge it anymore. i simply deal with it and recover more and more every day.

i hope that helps!!!

Post by Guest » Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:20 pm

I recently went to the cardiologist where he recommended a beta blocker, Metaprolol, 25mg for Heart Palpitations. I am so fearful to take the medication and I become so worked up over my thoughts of it being harmful to me that it sends me into a panic mode thinking about it. I know that I will get through this as long as I remain focused on by committment to this recovery.

I just realized today, how much time I have waisted being overwhelmed by anxiety and how much it has limited me from doing many things in life.

I hope that I can get to the point of taking the meds without going into a panic model.

Pamela M.

Post by Guest » Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:10 pm

i think a lot of us posting in this forum can identify with your fear/horror/dread - have i named enough fears - to understand exactly how you feel about taking a new medication. and NO i am NOT making fun of you. i have been there and then some!

i have found what works for me is to cut a pill in quarters. it's easier and makes me feel more in control of my life and my body. i feel that it's MY choice and nobody elses. i have no idea if that makes any sense, but that's what i've always done. i have to be in control.

whatever you choose to do is ultimately up to you. if you have a mild tranquilizer like xanax or valium, take a bit of that.

another thing that works for me is instead of "what if" it doesn't work is "what if" it DOES work?

i so hope this helps you!

Post by Guest » Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:43 pm

Karma, I do the same thing - pill cutter and chop-chop... :D

Pamela, you can start on a lower dosage. Consider calling your doctor and ask if you can start on a low dosage and increase as needed - I would be very surprised if he had a problem with that. The only time you shouldn't cut it up, is if it is an extended release tablet, so you need to check with either the doctor or the pharmacy. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I take a quarter of a 25mg pill morning and night, and it works great for me. I also like to take as low dosages as possible, because I want to minimize the risk of side effects and the amount of chemicals in my body.

Post by Guest » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:19 am

Karma,

Is it okay to take the Beta Blocker witht he Xanax? I have both and did not know that you could take them together.

Back in March 07 you helped me so much when I started taking Lexapro. I did great on it for a year and half then came off it. Why? I am not sure. My husband got deployed to Iraq and now my anxiety is circling its way back into my life. The only major symptom of my anxiety is my heart rate in tach. Scarys me to death. I think I am not going to be able to settled it down every time. The other symptom I have is eating. I never eat.

I am starting back of my Lexapro and hope it works again.

Return to “Prescription Medication Discussion”