beta blocker? r they good?

Questions and experiences with prescription medications
knumberd

Post by knumberd » Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:39 am

my dr. wants to start me off at 50mg of beta blockers plz help! what do you think of these medz?

Post by Guest » Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:29 am

They do keep your heart from racing and keep it at a steady pace. They do lower you heart rate, mine was about 48 beats per minute. Also be prepaired to feel really lousy for about a week to 10 days until your body gets used to it. I feel asleep at my desk at work for 2 hours, thank goodness nobody noticed.

Post by Guest » Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:46 am

is this a vit or a med?

honeydew3

Post by honeydew3 » Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:04 am

So what does the doctor want you to take a beta blocker for? It's a med, that's also used for migraines. I take atenolol 25 mg twice a day..works wonders on calming the heart. I never had any side effects when I started it.

Post by Guest » Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:05 am

i asked because i get the rapid heart beat also but i didnt know there was meds for that. i'm new to all this. i just thoght it was a heart attack waiting to happen. i'll get in touch with my doc thanks.

Post by Guest » Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:17 am

hi am new to this also. i had a panic attack i guess anyways, i was put on toprol xl cuz my heart was beating fast and my dr thought that was what could of been causing the recent out of nowhere panic like attacks. the toprol has helped alot but i have still a couple of times still felt the palpitations and racing heart especially upon laying down at night. i have had a heart ultrasound done that was showed fine and 2 fine ekg's so im guessing that when the attacks start up the heart is gonna be beat a bit faster regardless. but i would say yes give them a chance cuz they do seem to do some good.

Mom of 6

Post by Mom of 6 » Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:56 am

I've been taking Toprol XL for over 6 years.
They gave it to cause my heart rate was too rapid. Now they say it is for blood pressure.
It hasn't hurt me. It take 50 mlg. every morning.
Good luck.
MaryJane
"O God, you are my God. Earnestly I seek you;my soul thirsts for you, my body longs for you, in a dry and weary land where there is no water. I have seen you in the sanctuary and beheld your power and your glory. Because your love is BETTER than life,my lips will glorify you. I will praise you as long as I live, and in your name, I will lift up my hands." Psalms 63

Post by Guest » Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:48 am

Hi Sweetie,

I take a low dose of Inderal every morning - 10 ml. - to keep my heart from racing. The funniest thing about Inderal is when I started taking it, I got to a place where I always panicked - and while the panicky thoughts were there - my heart didn't race. It was the strangest thing.

For me - and this is just me - taking away the body symptoms of anxiety has enabled me to move forward at a much more positive pace. Again, that's just me. The Inderal helps to block the racing heart and sweaty palms.

While I more than understand learning the abililty to control thoughts from negative to positive, to breath, to relax - things I am learning - I feel that taking medication to help me get from Point A to Point B is a good thing.

I guess the bottom line is I know my recovery is coming from both cognitive learning and medication.

Post by Guest » Fri May 01, 2009 6:21 pm

I have been on atenolol for about a month. I read quite a bit about it. My prescribing doctor said that this will help to block the adrenaline, which is what ramps up when we start the fear/panic mode. I am on 25 mg and it is really helpful. What I am concerned about is I already take two other meds. I would love to be med free, but I have had this enough times throughout the past 21 years to know that being off the medications is not my goal. My goal is to function normally, which means getting out of bed, going to work, leaving the house. Is anyone else on more than one medication? I feel like a walking drug store. :(

Post by Guest » Sat May 02, 2009 4:42 am

I am on atenolol and love it! I'm getting ready to start ativan,buspar and i take vicodin. The way i look at it if it's not going to hurt you and make you feellike you again.I'll take it as long as i need to.

xoxo and God Bless

Return to “Prescription Medication Discussion”