Alcohol & Meds

Questions and experiences with prescription medications

Post by Guest » Sat Sep 02, 2006 2:04 pm

I will say I have a social drink occaisionally otherwise I've been asked if pregnant, etc, I think just because of my age. It seemed easier to nurse a glass of wine and get a soda to drink faster. But that too is if someone else is driving, busineses trips. I have an occaisional drink of wine at home too. No heavy habitual drinking

Post by Guest » Sun Sep 03, 2006 4:51 am

Craw Sorry to hear your having a rough patch. Just remember it's a patch and a new begining sprouts daily. I have followed your posts for a long while now and I KNOW your a strong woman considering what you have been through. You seem to have overcome a lot, this will be no different for you.
Last edited by Guest on Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest » Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:30 am

I'm a little better today. :) Ya wanna know why? I'm sick! lol You wouldn't think being sick would make me feel better but ... whatever! Now I know i just have a bad cold and I didn't feel well because I really wasn't. Hubby is making dinner ( :eek: ) and the little guy even made me some tea with Dad's help. Maybe another day of rest (if I can squeeze it out of these guys) and I'll be much better. What a relief! I'm sick! :D (that time of the month too) I'm such a whacko sometimes. :p There were other stressors involved and I guess all put together equals one crazy woman teetering on the edge. Thanks you guys. You blocked the edge so I couldn't fall off. You're all the best!

The dinner bell has rung. This should be interesting. The only thing my husband can make is coffee and reservations. :)

Post by Guest » Sun Sep 03, 2006 2:00 pm

Christine,
Wow! What a story! It must have scared you tremendously to see him go through all that.
I personally, have a major dislike for alcohol.
I used to be a "party person" and "burnout" but you know.... God really changed my desires.
I have watched alcohol destroy so many lives. My grandmother was an alcoholic, my grandfather was an alcholic, I grew up in a house where my father drank frequently ( came home from work with a "40" and a couple vodka "nips". This is how he grew up and this was how he dealt with the stress of his hard day. It wasn't uncommon to see men do this especially of that day and age. I grew up in a very negative home and although I believe I had a very good life; the negativity only got worse when it involved alcohol. Alcohol is a depressant... what can we expect ?

Thanks for sharing your story. It gives people alot to think about. I personally like being in control and don't drink anymore. I can't explain it, it was one of things that just "fell off" my life as I grew up ! ;)

Anita R

Post by Anita R » Sun Sep 03, 2006 4:07 pm

oh hell christine, that had to be horriable to see that. and for your parents. i know it happens often. i have just never seen it. the 1st time i went nuts, i tried to drink one day . my husband was trying everything to help me. niether of us knew what to do. he went out and bought a 6 pack of beer. he opened one for me and with no hope i tried to drink one. i couldn't take but 2 sips.well i thought i'm not trying lololol acouple more sips. no it tasted awful. didn't help. if it had i may have turned into an acholic, but it didn't help. i wasn't even eating at that time. lost 30pounds in 2mos. i finally knew that if i was going to live i had to go to the hospital.and( god had been telling me to go)that is where i got my life back. itold them that i tried to be an acholic lol. i still tell that story ;)anita
hey there craw, thanks for the comeback.anita

Post by Guest » Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:38 pm

Oh wow, Christine, that had to be very traumatic. I'm glad it sounds like everything turned out alright in the end.

A little note on alcohol. Before taking any meds or having panic attacks I was a pretty social drinker. I had a good tolerance and enjoyed drinking when I went out. I'd say on a long saturday night I could easily have 4-5 beers or 3-4 mixed drinks and not be in too bad of shape. Right now I'm on Buspar and some xanax. I'm just starting to go out like that again. Just last saturday I went to a bar. After the 2nd glass of wine, I felt pretty buzzed. I nursed the 3rd and felt like I was getting quite drunk! I was very suprised, then it dawned on me, I'm taking meds! oops. All I can say is, a little alcohol is probably alright, but be careful. Whatever tolerance you had before, divide that in half at least! I dont know if the SSRI's are more sensitive to alcohol or not. I did have a friend on an anti-depressent who drank heavily--I didnt know she was taking meds at the time, and she could get very volatile so I'd just take it slow and easy.

Post by Guest » Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:12 am

Plain and simple I watched my father drink take meds for years. Life of the party as long as he was partying. That was when I was 12. I am now 27 having spent more than half my life without my father because he took his own life. Alcohol was the main cause of holding my father back from recovery. I am doing my damndest to break the trend. Alcoholism is a bitch! I beg you guys full recovery means full commitment. I don't think that means no drinks ever again. I am a chef and lord knows I love some good wine with my dinner, but not while I am commiting my entire self to recovering for my family.

Post by Guest » Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:14 pm

Hi Craw. Sending a big {{{{{{hug}}}}}}} your way. Hope you feel better soon.

I have a neighbor across the street I am good friends with. As far as I know he's never had problems with abusing alcohol, but does drink often. I don't know if he drinks other than socially or not. I've only seen him drinking with his family at social gatherings. They are good people and appear to me to live a pretty balanced life. I also knew a number of people when I was in the military years ago who drank socially and wasn't aware of any problems with them. I think there are people who can drink for other reasons than getting drunk or high and keep the alcohol in balance with living their lives.

But, I'm not one of those people. I am an alcoholic, but March, 1986 was the last time I've ever drank alcohol for consumption. I rinse with Listerine (26% alcohol) every day because I've discovered it's the best tooth decay and cavity fighter available, not counting flouride toothpaste. But, I don't swallow it.

For me, I can't just have one or two beers and that's it. I drank to get a "buzz" or get high, and the valium I was on at the time added to the buzz. Four beers and I was pretty looped. But I paid big time for it in the morning. Didn't sleep well, felt washed out the next day, and tired. It also seemed to me to cancel the effects of the valium. It added to my anxiety. I am sooooo glad I quit the habit. An iced chilled Bud or Michelob would really taste good in the 110 degree heat we had this summer, but, I know myself very well when it comes to alcohol. Can't handle it at all. And thank goodness I hardly ever have a thought about alcohol now.

If you don't drink to get high, then one or two beers or a glass of wine may be harmless while on meds, depending on how it mixes with your meds. But, if you do drink to get high, my advice is quit it completely as quickly as you can. The odds are somewhere down the road you'll become an alcoholic, an addict. At that point you will have lost control to CHOOSE your behavior. The alcohol will be choosing for you.

That was the worst part of my addiction, I felt like I had lost the power to CHOOSE what I would do. I had lost control. That is a horrible feeling and it causes tremendous anxiety and depression by itself and a tremendous loss of self esteem. At this point, it is very self destructive (destroys your healthy self image).

Post by Guest » Sat Sep 30, 2006 3:26 pm

To all of you on subject of alcohol. On taking meds especially antidepressants and anti anxiety drugs, and drinking is a dangerous combo no matter the dosages and drinks. Alcohol is a depressant, ie taking antidepressants and then a depressant. I know this is none of my business but we are in here because we care and i felt like i had to say what i feel. God gave us our bodies to take care of. Right now i am on antidepressants and very strong pain meds because of myknee surgery and fibromyalgia. as soon as my knee is healed i want to start lowering my pain meds and eventually with Gods help i hope to get them down or to nothing. God bless you all.
Jackie

Post by Guest » Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:31 am

hi all,
i had to reply to this topic.i am an alcoholic.i drank from 1968-19985.that
was right after viet nam. then in 1985,
i was on the way home from germany. i
was at the airport. and i woke up and
there was no one around but me.they had
changed the gate and i almost missed my
flight. the bad thing was. i was on
the last three yrs before i retired from
the military.i got home. did not drink anymore. i went to a bar and had a coke,sometimes
GOD takes the desire away from us. even though we are not serving him. i was't at that time.
i wish you all the best and if you feel you have
medical problems. the alchol will make you feel better for awhile. then you are still like you was before.so don't use meds and drink. thanks and good luck. GOD BLESS
DON

Return to “Prescription Medication Discussion”