Alcohol & Meds

Questions and experiences with prescription medications

Post by Guest » Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:41 am

kp,
I wasnt judging you personally. I was judging what you said about alcoholism having no effect on families, or on meds especially ones for anxiety/depression. If you havent been affected negatively by it, thats your business, and none of mine. But, i know the stats on alcoholism unfortantutely because it has a tendancy to run in famiies. Basically all anxiety meds, benzos and SRRIS carry warnings against drinking alcohol with these meds. I dont know you or your family. But i do know what you were stating isnt true for everyone, and i would never encourage anyone to drink alcohol and take meds of any kind. Take care Nelly

Post by Guest » Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:04 am

hey there nelly, thank you i didn't want to lose as a peer. i need to quit trying to debate on here. i really love it(debateing) when i'm not anxious :)anita i read all your posts.you are a very stern lady :)

Post by Guest » Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:15 pm

It isn't cool when you are the person that has to suction the vomit out of their airway and to keep bagging them until they have had enough IV fluids and etc so they can once again breath on their own.
Totally uncalled for in an anxiety forum! :eek: I wish I hadn't read that but how the heck could I have known somebody would say something like that? Thanks and double thanks. I have some lovely OCD thoughts now to go along with the anxiety and depression I came here to read up on getting rid of. Wow, who knew? A help forum that helps you get worse.

BTW, my response has nothing to do with the original poster's very good question on mixing alcohol with drugs. I don't do either of them so I can't offer any advice on that. But I'll tell ya ... a couple of beers to knock me out sure sounds good right now. Better than the visions of blood, puke, and not being able to breathe going thru my already screwed up head.

Post by Guest » Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:21 pm

Craw,
Im sorry what deb said upset you. But it seems only cold hard facts from a nurse can wake some people up to the fact that mixing alcohol, and meds is a deadly combination. Alcohol in itself is deadly enough. I hate seeing play russian roulette with thier lives combining the two. Maybe thats the perspective some people need. Anxiety isnt worth losing your life over by mixing alcohol and meds, when there is an answer to it. I understand perfectly what deb was saying. Sorry it upset you though. Take care Nelly:)

Post by Guest » Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:49 pm

Hey Craw, sorry that what I said upset you. I didn't mean for that to happen, to ANY of you. I am just really scared for folks that mix meds and alcohol, esp benzos. I have seen a lot of good people that didn't intend to over do things in very bad shape. It scares me as I am helping them and I sure don't want ANYONE to go through what they do while we are saving them. And as I said, you never know who will be the one. Again, I am sorry that it upset you to read, but if I helped or convinced one of our forum friends NOT to go there, I am greatful!

And, about the drinking juice with a twist. I had a wedding reception bartender one time even mix a little grenadine syrup in my juice and stick an umbrella in it. It looked really festive and before the night was out, some more of the girls were drinking "what she is having." He winked at me and we just laughed and he made them some and they NEVER caught on that there was NO alcohol in there.

I am not ashamed that I don't drink, it is no ones business, but I really get tired of the folks that keep asking why. They usually don't even know me and this keeps them at bay. I have a much better time if I don't have to take the time to even hear those folks.

Smiles,
DEB

Post by Guest » Sat Sep 02, 2006 1:34 am

I know the med companies put a warning in the drug label about meds/alcohol. At first, I was scared and did not. Then a couple years ago, while on Zoloft and Klonopin, for New Years, I had a couple glasses of wine and 1 glass of champagne. :eek: That was one wicked headache and hangover! I spent the entire next day "couched"! I did not do that again!

On vacation, I had a glass of peach wine. I was off the Klonopin, but still on the Zoloft. I felt fine. For me, I made sure that I had a meal (dinner) with the 1 (one) glass of wine AND I had the wine first (only 11% alcohol content which is really nothing!), drank LOTS of water afterwards and took my Zoloft before I went to sleep. I spaced the time between the wine and taking the Zoloft out. I did NOT want a wicked headache again! ;)

crowpainter

Post by crowpainter » Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:55 am

I've also had a bad experience with paxil and alcohol. I'll say it landed me in the hospital and the doctor made me promise not to do it again. I am the occasional drinker, I'm no longer on paxil but on benzo's and I do watch my intake. sometimes I drink the same drinks as the lady who is a nurse on here they are called Mocktails here. no alcohol just the drink . they are good!!
and I'm learning to drink water with my drinks when I do drink!

Post by Guest » Sat Sep 02, 2006 5:59 am

wow, this topic is rolling :D last night my usual friday night. music and drinks. we had 2 birthday girls here. they really gulp it on their birthdays. 1 birthday girl is an ems teacher. she has seen this too. after 2 drinks i started watering them. they didn't even know. they kept drinking them . they still had a good night, we ordered pizza, they ate, and went home sober. i had my 3 beers while keeping up with all my girls. i stayed up until 3am. as i wait 3hrs after drinking to take my meds. for the ones who drink mixed drinks, less liquer and more mixer :Dan anita
p.s. reading these posts may cause some anxiety, but keep readig anyway, we should and do talk about everything. hang with us

natalief

Post by natalief » Sat Sep 02, 2006 6:59 am

There is label that they put on these meds that says:

DO NOT DRINK ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES WHILE TAKING THIS MEDICATION.

I am sure the FDA and pharmacutecal companies have a good reason to add this label.
Lisa

Post by Guest » Sat Sep 02, 2006 7:54 am

hey there anderson,yes i'm sure they have good reason. and from what i have researched, xanax and alchol are the top 2 mixers that kill. i think most of this is for the ones that abuse phenzos and and alchol. i have had people try to buy my xanax, ask for them, and steal them. i keep them locked now.phenzo abusers are what gives this med a bad name. pill poppers are drug addicks and you can bet you bottem dollar that it started from untreated gad :? give back some input girls ang guys anita

Return to “Prescription Medication Discussion”