Alcohol & Meds

Questions and experiences with prescription medications
desiderada

Post by desiderada » Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:54 am

I haven't until today rated a posting but I had to rate this one. This is a topic that needs awareness and education in my opinion.

I have personal experience with Paxil and alcohol. I was working a very stressful, demanding job and had a totally unreasonable work schedule. I had no time off and my work day was nothing less than 14 hrs (including 2 hr travel time). During that time I began to rely on a beer or cocktail to 'unwind' and fall asleep. After starting Paxil I realized upon rising in the AM I felt awful. Hung over. I began paying attention to the alcohol consumption and I was drinking way more than I realized! Instead of 1 or 2, it was 3-6! It was like 'unconscious' drinking because I'd never done that before. I read some literature on the i-net and found out it is common for Paxil users to begin craving alcohol or reverting back to alcohol abuse behavior. Even if the person had been sober for 20 yrs; they found themselves having to attend meetings daily to remain sober while on Paxil. My experience was several years ago and I think now there is more awareness in the medical community that alcohol and SSRI do not mix but the amount is probably very unique to each individual. I think if you have any question regarding controlling alcohol (i.e. alcoholism within your family) then it would be wise to abstain.

I think you've done a great thing bringing up this topic. Social drinking is relaxing, fun, a sense of unity with others. I sincerely think it should be watched closely while on meds.

DerikForChrist

Post by DerikForChrist » Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:54 am

im not on meds now but when i was i used to go out every weekend and get drunk the way i thought was anxiety has restricted me enough so why should i let it rule my social life before anxiety i loved drinking n going out with my friend then when the anxiety took hold i stoped going out then 1 day i just thought bugger this im not having anxiety rule my life i want to go out and go things that people my age were doing and it never effected me at 1st anxiety would be bad the next day and id feel so tired n weak but i soon got over that and an fine now im not on meds now so drinking on meds aint a problem so i would say go out there n enjoy yaself life is way way too short to let anxiety rule it

Celion

Post by Celion » Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:49 pm

Hi guys and gals!

Personally, I wouldn't. The labels on medications are by no means enforceable laws and we all have the right to choose, but one thing I feel is important to remember:

Even scientists who design and test these medications are not 100% sure exactly how/why alot of medications actually function in the brain, it's by no means an exact science. Mixing alcohol with these medications means that it becomes more unknown as to what's going on in the body.

I have no experience with alcoholics or alcoholism, so I'm only talking about the occasional drinking context here...
Through the program, and before using medications, I stopped drinking alcohol all together. For me, it is now possible to have just as much fun at a party, or relax with friends, without alcohol. I've had the occasional person looking puzzled as to why I wouldn't want to do drink, and they seem to be feeling sorry for me, but that's fine. I guess, my point is, that it is possible to have just as much fun (probably more actually) in life without alcohol.

Post by Guest » Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:36 pm

Hey Frank, I agree. And I also quit social drinking about 10 years ago. I find that if I get a glass with juice or dark soda in it, most people just assume that I am drinking with them and only the bartender knows that I am alcohol free. Then I don't have to have the anxiety of explaining my choices to one and all, OVER AND OVER again. My friends understand and accept it, but I have been in situations that it is better just to grab the glass of OJ and smile and nod and go on.

I am a nurse and some of the most messed up people I have taken care of in ER have mixed benzos, usually Xanax or Valium, with alcohol. It isn't cool when you are the person that has to suction the vomit out of their airway and to keep bagging them until they have had enough IV fluids and etc so they can once again breath on their own. And most of the time, it is accidental, they just got carried away with the partying.

I know that some of you think that drinking with your meds is okay. Well, it is kind of like playing Russian Roulette...you never know which time will be the time you over did things.

Hope that this helps!
DEB

Post by Guest » Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:14 am

Many thanks to all of you who posted on this. Debsasleep - I like the orange juice idea (maybe with a twist!) so I wouldn't have to explain myself over and over. Not that I'm ashamed -- it's just nobody's business!

Post by Guest » Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:07 am

Deb,
Thanks so much for you post. I didnt want to seem to be the "bad guy" in this whole situtation, but know what it can do, especially mixing it with alcohol. As far as explaining, i never felt i owed anyone an explaination of why i dont drink. And if asked, i just politely say no thank you, i dont drink. I dont care what anyone else thinks :) Take care :) Nelly

Post by Guest » Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:19 am

This is just food for thoughts!

If you knew you had anxiety/depression and you got medication to help yourself? Why go for alcohol while it can make your anxiety/depression worse? Alcohol can trigger and increase your anxiety. Alcohol can make your depression worse. So, why take medication to help youself and yet drink alcohol to make yourself worse.

I am just throw this something to think about that is all!

Post by Guest » Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:44 am

hey there girls,as i said before :eek: i don't bring acholics into my life,i probably would if 1 asked me for help. everyone who drinks is not an alcholic. and no my dad did not self destruct. i know him very well.many of my friends and both my kids have, and still do sing and play in bands. country and rock. this is done in bars and nightclubs. don't judge me and my family please. anita

Post by Guest » Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:47 am

Who are you referring to? KP? I dont see anyone judge you or your family... This is just share our own opinion...

Post by Guest » Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:53 am

hey there bepositive, did you read both pages?

Return to “Prescription Medication Discussion”