Long term safety of benzodiazapenes.

Questions and experiences with prescription medications
NanaBJM

Long term safety of benzodiazapenes.

Post by NanaBJM » Thu May 07, 2015 12:30 pm

Hs anyone know of the safety of long term benzo use ? Recently coming under scrutiny?

O2bhappyagain

Re: Long term safety of benzodiazapenes.

Post by O2bhappyagain » Thu May 28, 2015 10:57 pm

I've heard recently of issues of dementia in later years from prolonged use. I'm not sure of the time span for prolonged use and I think it applies more to taking benzos later in life.

hope11

Post by hope11 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:33 am

This is scary to hear about. I am very concerned because I am on Klonopin going on five years now and Alzheimer's runs in my family. I talked to the nurse about this at my last visit and she said she wasn't too worried about it because I am trying to wean off of it instead of having to go up on the dose but I do believe she thought so too. When you ask them about this kind of thing, they give a look like they really don't want to admit it can happen. I just pray I will be able to get off of it soon. I am weaning extremely slow so it will take a good while before I would be totally off.

tombush

Post by tombush » Mon May 22, 2023 10:07 am

Benzodiazepines are a class of medications commonly prescribed for the treatment of anxiety disorders, insomnia, and certain other conditions. While they can be effective in providing short-term relief, it is important to consider their long-term safety.

When used appropriately and as prescribed, benzodiazepines can be safe and effective for managing certain conditions. However, there are some potential risks associated with long-term use of benzodiazepines:

Dependence and withdrawal: Benzodiazepines have a potential for dependence, meaning the body can become accustomed to the medication, leading to withdrawal symptoms when it is discontinued. These symptoms can include anxiety, insomnia, irritability, tremors, and seizures. Tapering off the medication under medical supervision is usually recommended to minimize withdrawal effects.

Cognitive impairment: Long-term use of benzodiazepines, especially at higher doses, may cause cognitive impairments, including memory problems and difficulties with attention and concentration. These effects can be more pronounced in older adults.

Sedation and drowsiness: Benzodiazepines can cause sedation and drowsiness, which can impair a person's ability to drive or operate machinery safely.

Falls and fractures: Benzodiazepines, particularly in older adults, have been associated with an increased risk of falls and fractures, which can be attributed to the sedating and muscle-relaxing effects of these medications.

Interactions with other substances: Benzodiazepines can interact with alcohol and other central nervous system depressants, increasing the risk of respiratory depression and sedation.

It's important to note that the risks and benefits of benzodiazepines should be evaluated on an individual basis. If you are using benzodiazepines and have concerns about their long-term safety, it is best to discuss these concerns with your healthcare provider. They can provide personalized advice based on your specific situation and explore alternative treatment options, such as therapy or non-benzodiazepine medications, if appropriate.

Return to “Prescription Medication Discussion”