New Forum Member

Tell us about yourself. We want to hear your story so we can all support and encourage you!
jbdailey26

New Forum Member

Post by jbdailey26 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:53 pm

Hello everyone.

My name is Brian Dailey. I thought I'd introduce myself to everyone. Pleased to meet all of you.

I've actually tried the Anxiety program about in the past, I think it was 2007.
But I found that I never had time to devote to it. Work, wife, kids, parents, house, yard work, bills, dogs, etc.
Everyone had expectations of me and there was simply no time to devote to myself.

I was the typical overachiever and my brain has yet to stop relax. In fact, I'm not sure I've ever
relaxed. Physically too.

For 24 of the last 37 years if was CTO for a company that never stopped growing.
When I started there were maybe 25 employees at a single location. Now there are over 3000
employees and more than 40 locations in 3 different countries. It was a lot of work and many sleepless
nights. I've yet to realize how much we achieved.

I retired (for my health) in April but the toll of the job and having grown up in a family where the parents
struggled to deal with their own problems, much less those of their children, will take a while to overcome.

But I'm making progress. I have purchased the mobile app version of the Anxiety program and am now
in Session 3. I have purposely taken the first 2 sessions very slowly to let things absorb before going on
to the next session. I've grasped the core concepts of session 2 and am practicing. Retirement has
provided time, and my kids are grown and I no longer have to care for my Dad, who passed
away from Alzheimer's at 97 just a few months ago. Was a long 10 years.

Physically I'm doing well. Have lost over 20 lbs in the last year and am in good shape. Continue to ride my bike
with my wife, and use my Bowflex twice a week. Again, retirement helps.

I do have a problem with constant headaches, which is very depressing. I wake up in the morning with them and
they persist throughout the day. By the end of the day I am pretty drained.

I also have what appears to be circulation problems with my feet (very cold in the morning) and arms (which
don't hurt, but feel uncomfortable most of the time). Taking Citalopram, but have my doubts as to whether its
helping. Exercising more frequently, and have taken up meditation - which are improving my arms and legs.
But not there yet.

Still having trouble going to sleep. Using Triazolam. WIthout it - there is no sleep. Although I am gradually
weeding my self off of it. Down to 1/3 of a 0.25 mg pill. With the pill and meditation I am getting to sleep ok.
Hopefully will be off of it soon.

Negative thoughts are what I'm working on now. Many are related to not having close, comforting relationships
with anyone. I know my wife (35 years) loves me and she's been very good to me. But she has never shared her feelings
and is a very black and white person who shows little affection. Unfortunately, not having growing up with affection,
I'm afraid I lack it as well - but seem to crave it. I understand you get what you give. But it's hard when it doesn't
come natural.

As an extremely hard worker all my life (used it to try to get attention, but never felt like I did) I've always been
the person everyone relies on for money, taking responsibility, help, etc. - but I'm missing affection.
Like everything else I feel like I have to tackle this alone. No real friends (my brother is the one exception) who I'm
comfortable speaking with. Covid-19 doesn't help, neither does my self felt social anxiety (my wife doesn't think I have
it but it's always on my mind).

I've excelled at many things but depression is proving to be difficult. I'm hoping this support center will be helpful.

Best wishes to all of you. Thanks in advance for all your wisdom and good thoughts.

Brian Dailey
Take care

Brian Dailey

ab220

Re: New Forum Member

Post by ab220 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:12 pm

Welcome - I'm new here as well. I'm not sure how active the groups here are, but I'm hoping to find some people going through the same things!

jbdailey26

Post by jbdailey26 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:46 pm

Welcome! Glad you're here. I think you're right about there not being too much activity on the support group.
Many of the posts have quite a bit of age on them. And there are few new members to interact with.

But I'll be here a few times a week. I'm in the middle of Session 3 right now. For now, I'm choosing to be patient
and am taking about 2 weeks for each session - better for me to make sure I grasp the early stuff before moving on.

Let me know if I an help with anything.
Take care

Brian Dailey

Rose l

Post by Rose l » Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:55 am

Welcome!!

jbdailey26

Post by jbdailey26 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:14 pm

Hi Rose. Thanks for the Welcome.

Hope your doing well.
Take care

Brian Dailey

Claire777

Post by Claire777 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:59 pm

Hello, I'm a new member. Anyone else on here new? I'm on Session 2 of the program.

Claire777

Post by Claire777 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:59 pm

Hello, I'm a new member. Anyone else on here new? I'm on Session 2 of the program.

lockdo

Post by lockdo » Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:32 pm

Welcome back to the forum!! :!: ;)

pixie49247

Post by pixie49247 » Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:26 pm

Anyone still use this forum

Return to “New Forum Member Introduce Yourself HERE”