Hello

Tell us about yourself. We want to hear your story so we can all support and encourage you!
brianne8202

Hello

Post by brianne8202 » Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:50 pm

Hi, I am on week 2 of the program. I have it on the app as well as an old cassette copy that I used about 17 years ago when my youngest was born and I had post partum depression and anxiety and panic attacks. After several psychiatrists and a lot of different antidepressants with varying results and a lot of side effects I found the program and tried it. It worked, but when I started feeling better I quit, about half way through. Until a week ago, I had not had a panic attack or uncontrollable anxiety since then.
Last week one of my dogs caught parvo from a neighbor whose puppies caught it. She had to stay at the vets and we had no idea if she would make it and I was in a constant state of panic for 5 days, I barely ate or slept. Once she got home and was better I thought the panic would just go away but she is pretty much recovered now and the anxiety and panic attacks are still here. Everytime I try to go to sleep I wake up with a panic attack. I am struggling to do the things that I enjoyed only a week ago. The anxiety is a constant feeling that sits with me all day.
I am determined to finish the program this time and keep practicing all of the skills so that next time something happens in my life I can handle it better. I am also taking vitamins and looking into fasting to improve my overall health which I hope will help.

brianne8202

Re: Hello

Post by brianne8202 » Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:30 pm

Kind of feel like I am talking to myself on here, but I figure if I leave updates under my intro then at least other people reading might find something that helps.

So I am on day 3 of Session 3. Today is my third day with no anxiety AT ALL and no panic attacks. I believe it is a combination of this program and supplements that I am taking. In the program I am following it exactly - I do the relaxation session twice a day, listen to the audio session on the days I am supposed to, and do all of the extra exercises (breathing, morning meditation, journaling every anxious episode, focusing on the details in postcards, etc..) everything listed in the workbook. For vitamins I am taking the following:
No Flush Niacin as Inositol Hexanicotinate 500 mg/day (Natural Factors brand)
Natural Calm Magnesium Citrate Powder 410 mg/day split into two doses
One a day of a B-Complex with an extra 100g of Niacin (Natural Factors BioCoenzymated Active B Complex) - no reason for the fancy B-Complex it was just the most affordable option that had the right amounts of various B vitamins out of the various types at our local store.
200 mcg of Selenium (Natural Factors brand)
Those are the four I am focused on, I also have some Vitamin C as ascorbic acid powder and I take about 1/2 a tsp a few times a day when I remember, just stirred into a bit of water.

If anyone wants to read more about the vitamins for anxiety, especially the niacin, this is helpful: http://www.doctoryourself.com/anxiety.html

I don't know if I am still struggling with nighttime sleep (I posted about my sleep issues here: https://unstressed.net/forum32/viewtopi ... 72#p731972) but I haven't tried to sleep at night. My body seems to want to sleep from about 6am to 2pm and I have no anxiety and I don't wake in a panic. I haven't tried fighting it again because right now it doesn't matter. I don't work or have any specific reason to have to be up during those hours. Once I get further into the program I will try again. For now I am just happy to be anxiety free and able to function during my awake hours, AND I am getting sleep so I am not tired.

Also something interesting - at the beginning I would feel a spike of fear every time I heard the relaxation audio start. It reminded me of when I was 'sick' and went through about half of the program all those years ago and I didn't want to have anxiety again. It doesn't bother me now. But I can't do the visualization part because I have aphantasia and I don't see images in my mind. I listen, but I can't see a stream, trees, etc... and that made me anxious at the beginning until I realized why. So for anyone who might struggle with that part, that could be why.

coachchris

Post by coachchris » Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:59 pm

Hello Brianne,

You are an inspiration! Way to work the program so well and Thank you for sharing your supplement journey.
I am a supplement fan myself and essential oils.
What lesson are you on this week and what has been your favorite part?

Reach out and email if you need anything.
We are here for you.
Coach Chris

brianne8202

Post by brianne8202 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:05 am

Hi Chris,

Thank you, I just started lesson 4, but for lesson 3, the most interesting exercise for me was the one where you just carry a notebook and make tick marks for every negative thought. Just being aware of my thoughts all morning seemed to amplify the negative ones and I ended up spiraling into anger at little things and then irritation, depression, and anxiety about it all. But because I was paying attention I was able to tell myself to stop, I realized exactly why I was feeling that way and I started telling myself positive things and distracted myself and it all went away. In the past I would have just continued until I felt horrible and couldn't get off of the couch. So that was really interesting for me. I knew from the earlier lessons that my thoughts and fears caused it, but it was kind of like watching it happen as an observer. I had never really been aware before then.

I am still unable to sleep at night. I get really tired around 9 pm, so I have tried twice this week to go to sleep only to wake up minutes later in a panic. Not being scared of it doesn't seem to stop it. If I manage to fall asleep again it happens again. It is the strangest thing and it only happens if I try to sleep anytime between 9 pm and 4 am. The only way I can think to describe it is like I imagine someone would feel after way too much coffee (I have never consumed caffeine so I don't know). Just very jittery and full of energy and wide awake, kind of shaky, thoughts racing, hyper aware of my body. But I am in a place in my life where it doesn't really matter if I sleep from 6 am to 2 pm so I just go with it. It doesn't scare me anymore, I just don't understand it.

brianne8202

Post by brianne8202 » Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:16 am

So this will be my last update, I really only subscribed to the app to join this forum but there is no one here anyway, and the later sessions haven't had new posts in years. I have a physical copy of the program that I used years ago and I haven't noticed any differences between my copy and the app either so I am just going to stick with that. I am just finishing up week 5. I am going to repeat it because I have had a very hectic week and I didn't give it the attention that I should have. But I still have not had any anxiety or panic.
I am still unable to fall asleep in the evenings, BUT, I don't wake up with a panic attack any more when I try. So I guess time and just continuing with the program slowly worked. I think I have switched around my internal clock or something so I am slowly going to sleep 1/2 an hour earlier every few days and now I go to sleep at 4 am instead of 6. Anyway, I feel so great that I struggle to remember to take the time for the relaxation tape twice a day. But I am determined to continue and finish the entire program.

WebAdmin
Site Admin

Post by WebAdmin » Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:40 am

Hi Brianne,

It is so great to hear about your thought awareness and making space to shift out of the old habits into the new. Your ability to be kind and patient with yourself is vital. These are the same tools for sleep. Be gentle. Don't overthink. Keep making space for the mind and body to work together. Doing your relaxation exercises during the day will enable you to relax better in the evening.

I love the backing up your bedtime by 30 minutes. This will work. Stay positive and hopefilled. I would write out a positive sleep script too. This helps us shift our attitude around sleep.

Stick with the program. The worry lessons will continue to bring great insights and lessons 12-15 give us life skills we all need. Especially these days. ;) ;)

Thank you again for posting. I do hope you continue. Your insights and journey are very helpful to so many.
Please email me if you need anything.
Coach Chris

Return to “New Forum Member Introduce Yourself HERE”