Anxiety about economy

Don't let a setback discourage you, face the challenge and come out stronger for it. Celebrate your successes and be open to all of new opportunities that are about to come into your life.
rose_thorn98

Post by rose_thorn98 » Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:29 pm

Anyone else having anxiety about the economy? It is causing me a real growth spurt.
~The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
Martin Luther King, Jr~

Post by Guest » Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:00 pm

Hi Rose:
Yes. The present economy is affecting my daughter who is in Real Estate sales. She is struggling. She may have to get out of it.
It is hurting them financially. And causing her stress.
And that causees me worry and stress.
As one who lived through the edges of the great depression in the '30's, the state of our economy concerns me a great deal. I have grandchildren whose jobs may be affected.

But I just try to turn my concerns over to God.
I voted today (early ballot). It was stressful
because I felt it was so urgent that I vote for the right one. I did the best I could and have to turn that over to God too.
Even so, I do get stressed about all this.

Mary Jane

Post by Guest » Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:09 pm

In the beginning of the week I lost 40,000 (pure principal -- meaning earned dollars) from my retirement account. Having worked really, really hard all my life, my retirement has been a source of positive pride. This loss was a shock. Then, the whole thing sank in, and I realized how MANY people have lost a chunk of their lives. And it became a much larger external stressor for me. The entire world was affected. I can live (not as well, but you know what I mean) without the extra 40,000 but I have thought about people who lost their entire savings. All of it. And their homes. And their bank accounts. Whoa. It's a big one. And it isn't over yet. I had to go back and listen to the second CD a few times this past week, in addition to keeping up with my current session (12) homework. So, I have elaborated my economy anxiety from this week. I'm still plugging along with this program and working on overcoming depression. It's almost too much to assimilate right now. I am so grateful I've been filling myself with these program tools. Otherwise, I'd be a wreck.
Last edited by pecos on Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

epa

Post by epa » Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:04 pm

I lost quite a bit this past week and when I saw how the money markets could also possibly lose, I gotta tell you I had more than a growth spurt. My anxiety level was pretty up there this past week. I've been listening to the relaxation tape a few times a day right now. The anxiety is leveling out some now so I do think the program lessons and tools are helping me cope better than I would have a year ago.
ATTITUDE -- The mind is like a parachute...it doesn't work unless it's open!!

Post by Guest » Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:01 am

I thought this might be relatable to what you all are saying....Question????
Are their any of you having trouble finding gas?
This is happening in my county and also neighboring counties as well.
I was wondering.....is it just Georgia? or is other states having this problem. I don't watch the news much so I thought I would ask you guys

Post by Guest » Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:23 am

We seem to have plenty of expensive gas here in California.

hopehound

Post by hopehound » Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:12 am

I was interested in this post because one of my anxieties has been global problems...like global warming. It seemed for months, every day in the paper was something about global warming and the eventual destruction of the planet. Hmmm, nice to read over breakfast. What a way to start my day. I stopped reading it. I feel the same about the financial crisis. I also in the past have had anxiety about my personal finances, which realistically were in a lot better shape than many people. But after last week, it is hard (for anyone I imagine) to feel secure.

I think these aren't imagined threats...in some senses a lot of experts would agree that both of these things are real worries. BUT it does not help at all to over-react, to get all worked up and panic about things that may not happen. I also try to accept that things are the way they are, and no one is sure how they will turn out. We just have to do the best that we can moment to moment, be sensible about the future but not obsessed about it.

I am in NC and there are some stations without any gas at all, but then you can drive a couple of miles and find some kind of gas. I have heard that supplies will pick up mid-week, so the supply anyway is not anything major.

I like what Cornflower said about turning it over to God. We control what we can control, and the rest is up to someone (or something) else.
ANGELS CAN FLY BECAUSE THEY TAKE THEMSELVES LIGHTLY

Post by Guest » Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:19 pm

sleeplessMom...I'm glad to here are state is not the only one. I was beginning to wonder...What's up with that? ;)lol

We sat in line yesterday for gas. every pump had lines. we were out in the road waiting. my husband went inside to find out what was happening. There was a gas truck there, so that helped ease our minds because we were on empty.

he came back to the car and said they were only going to give you $20.00. He also told my husband that only two pumps would be turned on.
Thanks to the good Lord above we just happened to be in one of the lines where the pump was turned on.

On a positive note today was much better finding gas. I am glad to hear that it should
pick up later this week. :)

ellkay

Post by ellkay » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:08 pm

Hi all. The fuel is plentiful here in New Mexico, with average price for regular 3.32/gallon. The economy took another dive again today. I have had a very good attitude about things, in spite of practically losing my retirement account today. Tomorrow I will be going down to Albuquerque to meet with a bank investments fellow to see if we can salvage anything. I have worked and saved that account since 1979. I could go FREAKING CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But, what good would that do? I found out today I've been invited to CSU to speak about my books. Maybe that will boost royalties, and help a bit. Otherwise, I think I will just go FREAKING CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
See you all tomorrow. I am going to try to get some sleep. :? :( :p

beckman

Post by beckman » Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:17 am

Hi Pecos:
I am so sorry! I'm afraid that times are getting pretty rough for a lot of people. You do have a good attitude. That will help.
My daughter in Arizona is not faring too well. I think that she is sinking into some depression. I am trying to encourage her.

We have plenty of gasoline in this part of Texas also. The last time I filled up it was
$3.49. But I think it has dropped some since
then. By a few cents.

I will be remembering you in this situation.
You are so brave!!
Stay calm.
MaryJane

Return to “Session 15 - Getting Beyond a Growth Spurt”