Panicking again

Don't let a setback discourage you, face the challenge and come out stronger for it. Celebrate your successes and be open to all of new opportunities that are about to come into your life.
CarolynEd.Dir.

Post by CarolynEd.Dir. » Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:43 am

Someone wrote that they finished the program a month or so ago but had not been living it...Panic attacks came back and misery had set in...she wondered what to do. My response follows-hope it helps anyone in need--

"Your note is very typical in every way-I hope that makes you feel Better. :) You are normal!

Panic attacks feel Terrible, however, they will Not hurt you. Yes, EXTREME overbreathing can cause one to lose consciousness - but think about it-you would have done this before if you were in the Extreme. And the remedy is the 2-4 breathing! You know how to do that and I hope you begin breathing and counting as soon as you feel any excelleration in your breathing. Do the 6 steps...it's that simple. If you count you will not be able to dwell on the fear and therefore there will be no need for your brain to kick in the fight or flight response.

After the breathing begin your talk, "I am a capable person. I decide what I think about. I can calm myself. I am intelligent and capable. There is no emergency. There is no danger." "I am a careful person. I am a very good driver. I know what my choices are. There is no danger. There is no emergency."

Those are my best suggestions...from there try to figure out what you've been thinking about that has made you vulnerable to panic. I know you wrote tat you have not been living the program...that is probably the answer...ask yourself what distracted you. See if you can make a plan of action so that never happens again. Perhaps this is the Best discomfort you've had so far. :) Maybe what you learn from this will help you Forever.

Happy New Year! Carolyn"

Post by Guest » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:52 am

This is good information - I love to read suggestions -
I am redoing the program after two years because I too stopped living the program and crashed from overstress! I known to walk, talk and drive fast. Since I relapsed, I find that sometimes when I talk to people, I run out of breath - like my abdominal muscles begin to contract. It is so weird. What can I do about that when I am in the middle of teaching a co-worker something. Any suggestions? Should I stop and do some deep breaths. How do I explain my shortness of breath to the person? It is not scarey, just a little uncomfortable.

BookOfPsalms

Post by BookOfPsalms » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:32 am

Love it, Carolyn! Wise words of wisdom.
+Let The Word Do The Work!+

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:19 pm

Hi Boone, I have experienced that kind of shortness of breath also. Since I usually do not like to "share" the fact that I have a panic disorder with people I do not know well, I usually say something like, Oh, my sinuses are so bad today I am having trouble catching my breath. It is a thought to use, and everyone pretty much understands sinus/congestion problems.

Post by Guest » Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:26 am

Boone - Deliberately slow yourself down. Practice this at home, while driving, while walking, while talking, while doing laundry, anything. Take every opportunity to slow your pace down. You'll notice a riot going on for a short while inside of you but "it" will soon learn that you are changing an old habit. You'll notice a great change in your breathing.

Following the breath is a powerful daily exercise.

Post by Guest » Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:18 am

I agree with what Boon said, you should slow down in all ways. But, if you are walking for exercise, go ahead and feel free to pick up the pace. Exercising is the one thing you can do with as much energy as you want. Just use common sense and don't hurt yourself.
Walk, run, jump, play tennis, what ever you like to do, give it 100%. It will relieve stress and anxiety and you will feel much better! Peace be with you.

Post by Guest » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:00 am

Yo Boone, I finished the program. I still have moment's of anxiety - the fast talking, being out of breathe, nausea at times and the uncomfortable fast heartbeat. This program has helped manage those moments! I STOP and do the breathing, I get out and take my dog for a walk, I pick-up the bible and read it. I also use positive self-talk, and tell myself this is just a moment, and it won't last all day.

This program is a lifestyle change, and you know change takes time. I've incorporated this program into my life. I eat right, meditate daily and exercise. Sometimes I turn on a relatable cd (i.e. anger) when I'm having a tough time reacting to a particular emotion.

We're all human, right? You'll be fine.

God bless, Suz

Post by Guest » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:26 am

I am just thinking of you and want you to know you are going to be fine..this isnt going to last forever,its just a grove that you have gotten yourself into,,The next time you feel an attack coming on, just close your eyes and say For the Lord Himself is My Peace...and ask God to come into your heart,,and you will feel His peace and His presence...You will be in my prayers.....In His Love..

Return to “Session 15 - Getting Beyond a Growth Spurt”