rollercoaster recovery

Don't let a setback discourage you, face the challenge and come out stronger for it. Celebrate your successes and be open to all of new opportunities that are about to come into your life.
fergus

Post by fergus » Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:50 am

Does anyone else seem to have the "two steps forward one step back" problem with recovery? I have been suffering with anxiety/panic and at times depression for years. I have become very knowledgable about these disorders over the years, but at times have a hard time applying the teqhniques. I find myself at times really enjoying life and thinking i am on the fast track to recovery, and then i have an episode of obsessive scary thoughts like i have a horrible terminal disease. It really takes the wind out of my sails. Why when i know so much about these disorders and the techniques to cope with them do i still find myself miserable and hopeless at times?

Mary Wargo

Post by Mary Wargo » Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:54 am

I don't believe that recovery is a straight line. It seems to be a more gradual process where you may have two steps forward and one step back and over time will have three steps forward and one step back etc. I was frustrated at first with all of this forward and back stuff until I realized that I was having several steps forward with only minor steps back. Patience is important.

HisGirl

Post by HisGirl » Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:46 am

This recovery is just like life - it is a process. Just when we think we've got it all figured out, there are changes...If it helps any, this time of year can bring on all kinds of emotions, stimulants, memories, etc. plus the fact that we tend to eat and drink more things that aren't healthy. All those things contribute to how we handle the anxiety/depression. Take it one day at a time. There is a great line in an old hymn - "strength for today and bright hope for tomorrow". Have a great day!

Danilo88

Post by Danilo88 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:50 am

I feel this way especially after having finished the program. The last 3 weeks I had been completely anxiety free, and this week I feel a lot more anxiety than usual for some reason, but I figure since this happens to everyone that next week I will probably be feeling better. I think the most important thing is not to stop your daily tasks when it all starts to come back and go through some of the CDs again.
-------------------------

May all your dreams come true; may all your troubles fade away...

Diggy

Post by Diggy » Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:05 pm

As long as you know how you are feeling, and continue to move fwd and not allow yourself to get down you will be fine. Everyday , is not always sunny, just as with recovery. You will have great days, and some not so great ones. I finished the program a year ago and I can say at least once a month ( some a lil more) I have a step back... but I continue to work hard at moving fwd , "don't just work at overcoming the bad habits, work on strengthening and improving the good habits" so they eventually outway the bad! Stay positive...

dinobail

Post by dinobail » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:37 am

Hi Fergus and to others who responded to his post,
I wrapped up with the anxiety program recently and I must say it helped me tremendously. I am able to drive the freeways again,I am doing difficult crisis-oriented things in my job without panicking, and I feel more at ease with myself most of the time. But, the other day I had a stronger panic attack than I have had in months since doing the program. I think it was in response to setting a boundary for myself in a work situation and not getting a positive response from the boss. I too felt like how many times am I going to go through this? I thought I was so much better. Well, you know what? I AM BETTER!!! I realized why the attack happened and that it was not worth my getting that worked up over. I did the deep breathing and relaxation and talked with a trusted co-worker. I did NOT let it become an obsessive thought like "I am going backwards and will never be free of anxiety"! I thought, "okay it has been a while since I had a real bad panic attack so now I remember how bad that feels and I have the skills to change my thinking and thereby help myself." Within a short while I was feeling better and able to go ahead with my day. I am so grateful for this program and for the support I received from this community. I am glad I have the CD's and DVD's to review and help me through the occasional rough times. Hang in there and know others are praying and pulling for you. I love the phrase "I may not be where I want to be but thank God, I am not where I used to be." Peace to you and all of us who have struggled.

stop the anxiety!!

Post by stop the anxiety!! » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:12 am

I am glad to hear I am not the only one! This is my 6th week on the program and starting to feel the anxiety again. It is definitely frustrating when you think you are doing well and then it starts up again!!! I am getting the usual shaking muscles, wobbly legs etc., but does anyone get rashes on their chest or their face? This has just started happening to me. I assume it is my nerves.

Return to “Session 15 - Getting Beyond a Growth Spurt”