Calling all veterans

Don't let a setback discourage you, face the challenge and come out stronger for it. Celebrate your successes and be open to all of new opportunities that are about to come into your life.
karenLeigh

Post by karenLeigh » Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:53 pm

I was wondering what you all do when facing challenges. Do you go back to the program or a certain tape? I went thru the program the first time and did everything like it said to do. I tried to do the program again and it wasn't the same. It's like I'm not interested in answering the questions that are in the guidebook. So the second time around has been different. What I do now usaully is just listen to a tape or read a certain guidebook that relates to what I'm going thru at the moment.
Does anyone else do this? I was Just wondering if it's normal to feel this way after completing the program. I would appreciate any advice. :)
"Greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world".

Post by Guest » Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:28 am

I was wondering the same thing. Hope you get some feedback! pinkee

Post by Guest » Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:08 am

I have developed a routine for repair work (challenges). Since completing the program I've had a few big challenges. (A pet got sick and I discovered she had cancer. She died in January. Two close friends are getting divorces. I am scheduled for a biopsy next week. All these have added either grief or stress). Life happens, even after we graduate the program. I did rework Sessions 1 - 5, according to the guidelines. That has been helpful because the core tools, the foundation skills, are all there. I also have a notebook which outlines where to go for specific help:
I have used the emergency repair CD (end of program) to catch upsets. I like to take this with me when I have to drive somewhere. It helps spot specific concerns. I reduce all stimulants. I pay full attention to what I'm saying to myself at the time. I practice breathing to relax (and slow the adrenaline which will only make me feel worse).
Here is another notation I have in my journals:
If sadness and depression return, I review Sessions 3 & 4. If I face coping difficulty, I review Sessions 2,3,6,7, & 14.
And in general, if I have a setback, I do maintenance work on relaxing, meditating, journaling, breathing, and walking.
Don't know if this helps, but what I believe is most helpful in determining which sessions to review for specific challenges is to review your own homework. The answers are there. You will see how each session helped you in some troubled aspect of your life. Note what trouble was addressed. When that trouble appears again, go back to that session. That's what I do because regardless how well we are doing, life does keep happening and it's not always fair. It's certainly not easy. Best of luck to both of you.
Last edited by pecos on Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:26 pm

Thank you so much pecos, that has really helped! I'm sorry about your pet and friends. I will say a prayer for you about the biopsy next week. If you can let us know how your doing. It's always good to see you on here.
Take care and God bless :)

Post by Guest » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:38 am

When I went through the program the first time, I thought "Wow, I'm done. I know how to handle everything that's gonna come my way!." Wrong. However I had started growing and facing new challenges. My dad went through cancer and treatment, I changed jobs, and just getting out of bed in the morning was no longer a challenge.

Of course as I began living that led me to more challenges...and I thought...what is happening? I "shouldn't" feel this way. But wait? Maybe it's a growth spurt.

My second time through the program I reached for the CD's I knew I needed and then kept expanding til I found the one that spoke to me about what I was going through at the time. The strange thing was, I heard new information everytime. Depending on what I was dealing with, there always seemed to be something said that I think I missed the first time around.

I grew more. I started dating!!!! I had to deal with my own medical issues. My life started getting bigger and a little scarier! But, this time I knew I could do it. I didn't think I knew EVERYTHING, but I knew I could do it. Of course, this led me to more challenges.

So, here I sit...I'm in a serious relationship with a man with three kids; I'm dealing with my crazy mother; I'm about to lose my job...and I'm ok! I'm not happy about the situations at hand and the stress, but I'm so much better than I would have been.

I have ALL of the group sessions as a playlist on my iPod and I shuffle them while I'm in the car. There is NEVER a time when I don't hear something I need to hear or am reminded of something I need to remember.

So, getting back to your question. Now that you are out their living, use the program as a tool box. Reach for the lesson you feel would help. Listen to see if there is anything that strikes you. Look for a new point of view. I guarantee you it is there.

There is no right and wrong on this one. If you are using and living the program, you are going to do it better than you ever have. And, you will continue to grow and grow. Life is a new adventure for me, and as scary as it gets, and as often as I feel like "I can't do it," or "I don't know how." There is a place inside of me that reminds me that I do and that I can and that I will.

Good luck to you

Return to “Session 15 - Getting Beyond a Growth Spurt”