a new kind of growth spurt for me

Don't let a setback discourage you, face the challenge and come out stronger for it. Celebrate your successes and be open to all of new opportunities that are about to come into your life.
gwoman

Post by gwoman » Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:54 am

Hi all. I'm wondering if anyone else has had this particular issue. Thanks to the tapes, I'm not afraid of the body symptoms anymore (though the shaking can get annoying and does still freak me out a little). What seems to be the sticking issue for me now is the emotional feelings that come when I have a panic attack, those overwhelming feelings of doom and misery.

I've had growth spurts before, so I know intellectually that I'll make it out of this, but I'm having a really difficult time preventing the anxiety from going into panic when I'm trying to go to bed at night, mainly because that's where first attack of this spurt happened. I'm taking an emergency prescription of xanax - the lowest dose possible - to help me sleep, but it's only so effective.

Does anyone have some good advice on how to deal with the emotions that come with panic? It's really hard to talk myself out of biochemical doom and gloom.

Thanks, all.

pecos

Post by pecos » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:33 am

Hi. I hope you worked this one out by now. Your thoughts are creating your emotions. And I know you already know that. I, too, still have those biological roller coasters of internally produced chemical upset ... but not very often. I experience them when I am stressed. What truly works best for me is meditation. If you have never learned and practiced formal meditation, do call your nearest university medical teaching hospital and ask them about their MBSR classes ... mindfulness based stress reduction. Meditation is one of the quickest and most useful ways I put my brain chemistry in check, and when the stress reduces, sleep is easy. This program puts you in control of your thoughts, and meditation helps you stay in control of everyday life stressors. Good luck and best wishes. Congrats on being a program grad.

chadrukus

Post by chadrukus » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:20 pm

It is amazing how simlar symptoms can be. I have been going through the exact same thing at almost the same time. The thoughts of "doom and misery" to me are the worst part about it. I am learning not to react to those feelings and know that it's temporary and it will pass. I do know the panic attack that comes after a long time of feeling good is the hardest. But each time you face one, I think it is possible to learn to grow accustomed to the feeling until it doesnt affect you anymore and one day... No More Attacks!!! Hope you feel better and have a merry Christmas.

Return to “Session 15 - Getting Beyond a Growth Spurt”