Relapse?

Don't let a setback discourage you, face the challenge and come out stronger for it. Celebrate your successes and be open to all of new opportunities that are about to come into your life.
Didde

Post by Didde » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:28 am

Hi!
Went through the program for the first time mayby seven years ago and I have episodes each year when I have what I think are relapses. Usually these accure in january when everything is dark and boring. When they come it takes about 3days to a week and then I feel fine but it's still very unpleasant. And my problem is still that I get upset stomach during this time.

I really could use some help from you.
Can you give me some advice how I can stop it sooner? It doesn't work to put up the stopsign. At least not right away. I would like to reduce these episodes to its minimum, I don't think we can get rid of anxiety all together.

What I'm still unsure about is this, when this happens should I stop and think about what is wrong and try to find a reason for it or should I try not to think about it and just ride it out.

What do you do?

Best regards Erika

wanttogetridofthisonceandforall

Post by wanttogetridofthisonceandforall » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:18 am

Hi Erika
I too, get a very upset stomach when this returns. Mine last a lot longer though, usually 6 months to a year so I would consider yourself very lucky and perhaps you need to view it that way. I think to myself that I am lucky that I don't have this constantly my whole life. I know some others here do suffer constantly. I think if you can just accept it and just keep telling yourself that it's only 3 days out of your life might help. I saw on a website once that this guy said to take a pen and a piece of paper and draw a straight line. At one end put the number 1 and at the other end put the number 100. Now imagine this is your lifeline. You will live to 100. Now find where you are on this line in age and make a small dot, now make a dot on what you are going through next to your age dot. Make this dot smaller than the age one because you will be this age for a whole year and your 3 days should be a very very tiny dot. Now, look at your life line and see what a small part this is and that when you are past it, it won't matter at all to the rest of your life. Honestly, I tried this and it makes all problems seem very trivial. If you think about all your lifes' adventures and trial and tribulations, it may help you to know that three days is indeed so small.
It really helps me when I want to get bent out of shape about things. Sounds silly I know but try it and see what you think.
Hope it helps, have a great week.

Russ K

Post by Russ K » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:42 am

wanttogetridofthisonceandforall-

Boy, that was a mouthful. Clever idea, the straight line and dots, I'll be sure to give it a try! Thanks, hope your having a great week.
`

Didde

Post by Didde » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:31 am

Thank you for that. I'll try that timeline.
I have a anxious week right know and I'm so frustrated because I can't understand why. It was really bad at work today so I tried something new just because everything else failed and it worked!! I went into the bathroom, looked in the mirror and said "I love you". I said it over and over again, I love you, with or without anxiety. You are not a failure, it's ok. I don't know if it workes tomorrow but I think I just had a ahha moment. I think I see myself as a failure everytime I get an anxious moment and think oh no not again, I'm not cured yet!!! As Lucinda says, we can't go through life without anxiety and I just need to accept that. I need to learn not to be afraid of anxiety, I'm not there yet but I'm ok. Everything will be ok.
Take care Erika

lockdo

Post by lockdo » Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:26 pm

i just to the breathing exercise. It definitely helps. Make sure that you still use the relaxation CD. :roll:

Return to “Session 15 - Getting Beyond a Growth Spurt”