Anticipatory Anxiety

Don't let a setback discourage you, face the challenge and come out stronger for it. Celebrate your successes and be open to all of new opportunities that are about to come into your life.
Boone

Anticipatory Anxiety

Post by Boone » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:28 pm

I have been dealing with a growth spurt caused by stress for about 8 weeks now. After doing so well for about 3 years I never thought the anxiety would come back to this extent and me not be able to control it. So back through the program I have been working. My biggest wall is the anticipatory anxiety. I have the panic attacks to a low level - but that anticipatory feeling is still lingering. I work constantly to correct with positive thoughts and calming - but it is stubborn.

Anyone have a growth spurt that lasted this long???? Any suggestions???

THH

Re: Anticipatory Anxiety

Post by THH » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:30 pm

Boone,
Hi! Oh yes I have had some anxiety come back and stay for awhile!
You talked about the stress. Have you figured out why or what is causing you to feel so stressed?
With anticipatory anxiety for me is when I am no longer in the present moment. Not being realistic and basing my thoughts on what ifs instead of facts. I bring my self back to the present moment, and start from there. What do I know is TRUE?
Its good you have done the program, review and practice the session that you feel your having the most trouble.
It is not reasonable to think that you will not have anxiety ever again. Check your self talk too. Thats what I do anyway. Good luck, I'm sure you will feel better soon. :D

Chuckie

Post by Chuckie » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:15 pm

Boone
I have had a very similar experience. You can see the post in this section. Mine came back with stress as well, but I now realize that it wasn't the stress, but the way I reacted to it; with old negative thoughts and some "what ifs."
I've been review the program and that has helped as has the relaxation cd. I feel much better but need to constantly remind myself to take care of myself, always remembering to relax and breathe.
Chuck

lucy knepp

Post by lucy knepp » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:29 pm

Me too! It really sucks! I do the self talk..helps sometimes. Diversion is good. Find anything to do....take a shower, do anything. Not easy. Never give up. Gotta keep going. ;)

Kathy1365

Post by Kathy1365 » Fri May 25, 2012 4:14 pm

I've been going through the same thing as well, after having been very successful with the Program for several years. I had a stressful event a few months ago and I'm still struggling with symptoms and "what if" thinking. But if I hadn't been through the Program I'd probably be a lot worse off. Do you get back to feeling recovered eventually? I want to get there but haven't yet. Would like to hear your thoughts.

Return to “Session 15 - Getting Beyond a Growth Spurt”