Overcoming and Facing Fear

Don't let a setback discourage you, face the challenge and come out stronger for it. Celebrate your successes and be open to all of new opportunities that are about to come into your life.
Adrien

Overcoming and Facing Fear

Post by Adrien » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:52 pm

I am attempting to face my fears, but what I am about to describe to you feels more like pure terror. After all of our training, I am curious if anyone out there would be able to do the following. I have the option to take a tour of an old silver mine when I travel to Czech later this year. When you enter the, you walk 160 steps down into the mine which ends up being about 6 floors under ground. There is no light except for the flashlight each person carries. Eventually you get to a tunnel that is so small inside, no more than 4' high and super narrow, which you have to walk through. I am told that at this point you are happy to be wearing a hard hat when it scrapes the ceiling. Once well inside of the tunnel, the guide asks that all flashlights be turned off so everyone can “feel” total darkness, which is said to be VERY unsettling, to say the least. With flashlights back on, the tour continues into a more normal size tunnel that leads under a river and finally out. The tour is close to an hour in length and they advise against people with nervous, cardiac and/or respiratory problems taking it.

I have to stop and ask myself if this tour is something I really want to do or if my fears are stopping me. Thoughts anyone? :D

baileybandit

Re: Overcoming and Facing Fear

Post by baileybandit » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:32 pm

You should do it. It will be fun and you won't fear it after :) Go with someone who helps you conquer your anxiety to keep you going. I went to Hawaii for my honeymoon. My husband wanted to hike up Diamond Head and I did not want to. They also told nervous/anxiety people not to go with the height and small spaces to crawl through. I did it and was soo nervous. By the time we got to the top of the mountain, I was soo happy I went! It was a fabulous view! The same thing happened when I went on another vacation to Las Vegas. My husband wanted to go to the Hoover Dam. They said nervous/anxiety people should not go in the elevator. They crammed over a 100 people in the elevator and I was freaking out. However, it was cool to see the dam and my husband was happy I went and did it. The more you do these things the better they get. They are still scary but get easier!

Adrien

Re: Overcoming and Facing Fear

Post by Adrien » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:55 am

Thank you, I needed that. :D By the way, I would like to share this little video, which says it all http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0dzRQSKv8s

Return to “Session 15 - Getting Beyond a Growth Spurt”