Didn't see this coming

Don't let a setback discourage you, face the challenge and come out stronger for it. Celebrate your successes and be open to all of new opportunities that are about to come into your life.
Chuckie

Didn't see this coming

Post by Chuckie » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:57 pm

Hey All,
I went through the program successfully nearly 4 years ago. No Panic attacks since. Some anxiety but tolerable. But, this year has been very stressful for me. Many changes at work and none positive. I, and my coworkers, have really felt it. For the first time in 11 years I was craving cigarettes again. Anyway,thought I had control of my anxiety, but last week I had a dentist appointment and it hit in the waiting room. The dentist has always been a tough one for me, but I have had several appointments and a lot of work since completing the program and I didn't have a problem. And last week.... it was just a cleaning!! The attack was quick and mild, I guess, but ever since I feel I have opened the big door of doubt. I continuously felt anxious in the dentist chair, and now one week layer, the negative thoughts are back and it is harder to turn down the positive path when facing that fork in the road. Why?? I know how to deal with this. I keep thinking it is the doubt I let in, my unwanted guest that needs to leave. I have started to review the program again, but I really thought I was cured. I can say this, after reading other posts in this section and just writing this I am feeling a bit better. Any thoughts or advice are welcome.
Thanks
Chuck

mcshope

Re: Didn't see this coming

Post by mcshope » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:11 pm

Hi Chuck,

I am about to finish the program for the first time. I know I am feeling better, however I still have things to work on. Under a lot of stress is understandable that the anxiety would come back, however you know have the tools to make you feel better.
Go back to the basics... and don't forget to breathe.

Hope

Chuckie

Post by Chuckie » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:55 pm

Thanks Hope. I am doing better the past few days. I will continue to review the program with an emphasis on Session 3. The negative thoughts came back with the stress and snuck up on me. I appreciate your input.
Chuck

coach21

Post by coach21 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:28 am

Hey Chuckie,

Could not help responding to your post in that I experienced a similair growth spurt. I've found that implementing a collaborative continuing care program is the key. Reality is you will re-establish yourself and learn from this experience. I'm employed as a coach for the StressCenter.com and do alot of peer support as well. Feel free to e-mail for support. God Bless and go for it!!!

Chuckie

Post by Chuckie » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:04 pm

Coach21
Thanks for your input on my post. Iv'e been reviewing the program and been reminded of many bad habits as well as new skills that I had forgotten. I keep remembering Lucinda's Stop Sign approach when the negative thoughts start coming in. In fact, last week a tree came down in front of my car on my way home in a severe wind storm. Literally RIGHT in front of my car. It was huge and had I arrived at that spot 5 - 10 seconds later I might not be here right now. I keep thinking of that tree as my stop sign. A sign to stop worrying about petty things, stop obsessing on the negative, and to really appreciate life.
Thanks again
Chuck

Return to “Session 15 - Getting Beyond a Growth Spurt”