Leaving Town, Scared to Death

Don't let a setback discourage you, face the challenge and come out stronger for it. Celebrate your successes and be open to all of new opportunities that are about to come into your life.
lalalinle

Leaving Town, Scared to Death

Post by lalalinle » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:14 pm

I am suppose to go to Scottsdale, Arizona on February 16th and am driving with my 28 year old daughter. I have been to Scottsdale twice before and have driven the 6 1/2 hour drive...but that was in 1998. I have been nowhere since then. I have developed Agoraphobia and have been having the "what if" thoughts for the last week and a half. We are scheduled to be there for 2 weeks and it is not a situation of turning around and going back if i start having Panic Attacks as my Daughter is flying into LA from Washington to go on this trip to watch her Arabian horse show over the course of 2 weeks. I have always suffered from Claustrophobia for the past 45 years but this is a situation that involves no enclosed spaces. Why is this happening??? I have done just about every program available and have just finished this program but the anxiety is worse than ever because of this trip. I just don't know what to do anymore. Maybe I should just cancel the trip which would be very disappointing to my daughter and definitely a loss and step back for me. i appreciate any suggestions that anyone may have.
Thank You...Linlee

Paisleegreen

Re: Leaving Town, Scared to Death

Post by Paisleegreen » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:20 pm

Wow, you can do it. Take each step at a time. Baby Steps. I took a road trip as well last year and experienced some anxiety. But I didn't have this program back then and didn't know I would feel some anxiety. I had weaned myself off of my anti-depressants at the time and was feeling good. But didn't know that I would feel some anxiety.
Since you will be with your daughter that should help.

I don't know quite what to do with your claustrophobic feelings. If your mind is busy focusing on driving you should do pretty good. Just try not to think about it ahead of time. Think positive thoughts and put the "lie" in the negative ones. I wish you luck. Paislee :)

lalalinle

Post by lalalinle » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:08 am

Thank you so much for taking the time to send a reply. I am surprised there was only one person to reply but one is better than none, so again thank you. I decided to get online support from one of the centers life coach and I am loaded up with a script of Valium. I am just taking it moment by moment and reading as much as I can about anxiety in general. You are very brave to wean yourself off of your anti depressant before your trip. How long have you been ding the program and how long had it been since you have been traveling?

I am sure I will most likely be on this 24/7 from Wednesday on as that is the day I am leaving...keep good thoughts...that will be the mantra.

Thanks again
Linlee

Paisleegreen

Post by Paisleegreen » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:27 pm

I had weaned off the anti-depressants a year ago, more just by feeling good after seeing a Psychologist and working in Dr David Burns, 10 Steps to Self Esteem work book. I just naturally weaned off with the help of Xanax. I weaned off of Xanax and Wellbutrin. I then took my trip after I was off the meds for 2 months. But came home to a surprise and change at my household that threw through a loop! I then experienced my first panic attack, which was probably brought on by many factors, but one was that I had had a massage, then took a muscle relaxant the next night and then my restoril. I was so relaxed and felt faintish that I hyperventilated and had my first ever panic attack. Then it was crazy after that to get me calmed down. I would use Xanax when I needed to and Nurse Practitioner's were trying to get me to take Zoloft and then tried small dosage of Wellbutrin again. I was very resistant as I had weaned myself off of the AD's.

Then another Physician Assistant put me on Remeron and Beta Blockers. Then my regular Psychiatrist said to me, you must be dragging due to the Beta Blockers, then my Family Dr said that the Remeron was making me tired. So I weaned off the Beta Blocker's carefully, last summer, and now the Remeron. So I am drug free except for the Restoril I take at night. I rarely take an Advil because it feels funny in my "gut system". So right right now I'm being bad, my sweet little Granddaughter just brought over sugar cookies for Valentine's Day and I got some Hershey Kisses from church. So I probably am doing a very bad thing right now and will regret it later. :roll: :mrgreen:

I think I'll go drink some milk and dilute my treats. Otherwise, my junk food eating has gone way down due to the "creepy way" my gut system feels. I've been eating so much better that my fingernails are growing quite nicely. Now to increase my physical activity as the days get longer and sunnier. Paislee :mrgreen:

lalalinle

Post by lalalinle » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:59 am

Thank You so much for replying again. I have never heard of the meds you were taking except Wellbutrin. I leave in 2 days and I know it is going to happen...my first panic attacks in decades. Why not sooner...I am very good at avoiding...life! I know I should not tell myself this but if I could figure out what it is in the Valium that blocks the sensations of the oncoming body sensations of the attack, I don't know, I guess I would take supplements of only that. I hate to take pills but I also take a beta-blocker for high blood pressure.They really zap my energy and make me tired most of the time.

I just don't get what happens in the mind that makes people think this stuff. I have been to Scottsdale twice before and never had any separation anxiety about leaving LA. Why is it so different now? A part of me thinks it is because in 09 I had an angioplasty and am now the proud owner of 2 stents a balloons so the thought of having heart palpitations is just not a good idea.

This programs gives you many words to think differently about the current thoughts I have but for some reason they don't seem to sink in...at all!!! It's almost like when the scary thoughts come and you say to yourself "I am in no danger and will be fine" the next thought that backs that up is "Yeah right" as the panic sensations seem to build. Then my new stress center therapist said "don't fight it, let it happen"...I don't know if I can do that!

If I could cancel this and run away and hide for the rest of my life...I would! But this would just tear my daughter apart, and I can't do that. I guess you could say that I feel that I am trapped, trapped, trapped. I am still looking for that golden phrase that I can honestly believe that will sink in and allow mw to finally live a peaceful anxiety free life. Please say a prayer for me.

Thanks...Linle

Paisleegreen

Post by Paisleegreen » Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:57 pm

Sorry, I haven't been back to check on this. The website was closed and I think I was exhausted on VDAY from a busy weekend. not sure. Anyway, I hope you are doing well in AZ. I've been there a couple years ago and years before that as well.
Good place to be right now as it is warm! :D I'm sorry that you are on Beta Blockers, I think I told you I weaned off of them. I was so much happier after the weaning process was over and I had more energy.

So do you think you have to take them forever?

Let us know how your trip went. Paislee :mrgreen:

Paisleegreen

Post by Paisleegreen » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:55 pm

Go away, you spammer!

Return to “Session 15 - Getting Beyond a Growth Spurt”