Driving Long Distances

Don't let a setback discourage you, face the challenge and come out stronger for it. Celebrate your successes and be open to all of new opportunities that are about to come into your life.
Chuckie

Post by Chuckie » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:21 am

I am happy to say I haven't been here in a long time. I haven't needed to, the program worked great for me. About a year ago my anxiety was getting so bad I was fearing I would become a shut-in. I had trouble driving anywhere, standing in lines, going anywhere especially the doctors and dentist's offices. After completing the program twice (I highly recommend this), I am much stronger and able to do almost anything. I still get nervous in that dentist chair, but it has not led to an attack.
With time all of my anxiety has lessoned greatly and absolutely no anxiety attack since starting the program the first time.
However, I put off driving on the freeway long distances. The freeway was always a doosey for me, but I have forced myself to take it to work almost everyday and now I hardly even think about anxiety when getting on the on ramp.
Long distance is another story. I just drove about 125 miles away from home yesterday with some friends for the first time in a year. A year ago I was with the same friends. I did it and it was not a problem but I got that same hazy feeling about 1/2 way there that has led to an attack in the past. If I am not driving I can work my way through it. But when I am behind the wheel I get worried that haziness and possible upcoming anxiety attack will take my attention away from the road and lead to something horrible.
I have dug deep trying to figure out why this is so difficult for me and I can only think it is getting lost in an area far from home. But I am not sure. Having someone with me is a good distraction from this feeling, I just start talking and listening. Interaction with others is the key. But I want to drive long distances on my own. The radio, cd's, audio books all help a bit, but that haziness is a big one here.
Anyway, I just haven't felt that haze in a long time and thought I would look here again for advice, thoughts, input... whatever.
For those of you just starting the program, please remember it really worked wonders for me. REALLY!! This is just my last hurdle.
Chuckie

Post by Guest » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:20 am

Congratulations on your great progress:)

Do you have a GPS device in your car? this can ease the anxiety of getting lost and help to calm you just in case.

Post by Guest » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:12 am

DebDeb
Thanks for the tip. I hadn't thought of the GPS device. I'll look into it.
Chuckie

Return to “Session 15 - Getting Beyond a Growth Spurt”