Set Back or Growth Spurt?

Don't let a setback discourage you, face the challenge and come out stronger for it. Celebrate your successes and be open to all of new opportunities that are about to come into your life.
karenLeigh

Post by karenLeigh » Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:34 pm

A little over 3 yrs. ago my husband became the pastor at a church. My daughter shares her birthday with another little girl that goes there. They could have been twins. They were born the same year and day and at the same Hospital. We(me&husband) have been friends with her parents for along time. I feel like we have pushed our daughters birthday aside since we got there. There have been a few situations that could not have been helped. I'm mad at myself for letting other things get in the way and for not speaking up about. I guess you could say this is a growth spurt or a set back. Right now it feels like a set back. Although, I feel like I have learned something from this situation so maybe that's a growth spurt.
There is an oppertunity this weekend to have a birthday party for my daughter. It's last minute and I hate that! but maybe I need to just bite my tongue and do it! I hate feeling this way. I have let alot of things get in the way of her birthday and my husband has to. I am trying not to blame him but before this program...I would have. He performed a wedding the day before her birthday! Last Saturday! He knows now not to schedule ANYTHING around her birthday. He doesn't know how to say NO to people either. I don't want people to run all over me or him. I think that is why I am reluctant on having the party on Sat. Some of the ones who put that wedding on that day will probably be there. I know it's imature and stubborn. It just makes me mad, that I let this happen. Maybe I can do it. I sound so selfish! That's one thing I don't like about this A&D it makes you look selfish and feel selfish. Why is it so hard to let things go. What people say..ugh!
I think this is definantly a growth spurt, now that I have typed this.
"Greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world".

Post by Guest » Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:42 pm

Well...I thought I would just answer myself on this one lol! ;)
We had a great day with my little girl. She wanted to go see High School Musical. You should have seen her Daddy's face."Are you sure you wouldn't want to go see Beverly Hills Chawawa"...so funny!
I have to say it was a good movie. Those kids can dance! and sing.
It was so nice to be taken away from all my worries. I can honestly say I didn't think of anything else. I was living in the moment! What a great feeling.
If anyone reads this...I would encourage you to find something that really keeps you locked in to the precious present moment. :)

Lew

Post by Lew » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:26 am

Hi Karen!
I am back today from my two week vacation, and just saw this post. Wow. That was a BIG growth spurt. The movie choice sounded like a good one, too; happy to hear it really was a FAMILY event with all there. I have never seen either one of those movies. Will have to look for them. I enjoy music and dance films. Take care. Pecos
Life is too short to own an ugly boat. Step aboard for a wonderful journey!

Post by Guest » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:10 pm

Hey pecos,
Good to see you back on the community. Thanks for the kind words. You know... I'm not sure about this 2 week vaca. thing. I'm so use to coming on here almost every day or so. If you don't mind me asking...how were you...during the break? was it hard to stay away? I should be taking mine by tommorrow but I don't know.....

natalief

Post by natalief » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:22 pm

Hi Friend!
Good to see you, too! The vacation was GREAT. I was very worried. I did have two moments of emotional trauma. One was caused by a long time friend's inconsiderate behavior. Another was caused by another long time friend's unkind negative remarks. What did I do? I pulled out my journal and asked myself: WHAT AM I FEELING?
After answering that question, at the end of the day, I asked myself: OKAY, SO WHAT AM I TRYING TO TALK MYSELF INTO?
And both times I was able to handle my emotions, and I was very capable of using positive self talk to turn my sadness around, and not make my event any worse.
It really was not hard to stay away, because I was doing so well. And I had so many things to do ;). If you need extra support during your vacation, please use the CD which is underneath your Session 15 CD. It is very good for emergency help. And, you can always come back here and get support!
I will be here for you!

Post by Guest » Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:37 pm

Pecos,
I'm glad you had a great vacation. I'm sorry to hear about your friends behavior. Sounds like you handled both well. I will remember that about the journaling. I know you have said in other post about how important the journaling was for you. That's one area I need to practice on. I guess I will try to sign off for now. Thanks for being a good friend to me. Hopefully I will see you all in 2wks(or less). I might get to missing ya'll to much ;)
Take care of yourself!

Return to “Session 15 - Getting Beyond a Growth Spurt”